3 replies to this topic

#1 glinum

glinum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Sometimes I see pieces with different color blends in glaze, it's like one color runs smoothly into another one usually in a chaotic manner. It's hard to explain, here's a picture of what I mean:
Posted Image

I have clear glaze and some color pigments. What's the process of doing this things? Do I have to stir a pigment with water, apply it to a piece and then cover with glaze? Or do I have to mix a pigment with glaze and apply it in one layer and then do the same for other colors?

I never did glazing, just learning things.
Thanks.

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,131 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

The glaze with blue dripping color has the pigment or colorant in it. The green glazes is possibly copper or iron as the colorant and the leaf patterns may be a black stain or metal oxide in a texture applied before the glaze. I say this because there is some variation of the black where is seems to be bleeding out.
Marcia

#3 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

That looks to me like the leaves are glazed with a transparent green glaze, the pot was dipped in a transparent clear glaze and then copper carb was dripped around on top. T

#4 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

That looks to me like the leaves are glazed with a transparent green glaze, the pot was dipped in a transparent clear glaze and then copper carb was dripped around on top. T

the "clear" part may just be what is left after the coppery cobalt blue glaze ran down the sides.
"putting you down does not raise me up."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users