• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Marge

Marge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'm playing with stains to add to my slip for slip trailing on my greenware. I've slaked my clay and have a bucket of slip that I have sieved and want to add Mason stains. How do I figure out the stain to slip ratio? Is it just a visual thing? Does the final color (after bisqued) look similar to the original trailed color? Thanks in advance for any help!!

MargiePosted Image

#2 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

I add 1/4 cup of Mason stain to 2 cups of slip (I use porcelain clay to make my slip). Some stains are stronger than others, so you might have to experiment. After bisque, take a sponge and dampen the colored slip; that will be a better indication of final color.

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

I use about 25 % or less of mason stain in my porcelain slip depending on what colors I want. since you are using stoneware, you will need to test. Some stains responds well with some chemicals and others do not.b est to use the reference code as a guide for whether they can be used as engobe a stains, with calcium, with or not with zinc, what are their maximum temperatures, etc. You can google Mason stains and find reference codes.
Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users