Floating Blue Glaze

Mary T

There are a number of recipes for this glaze. The original GB-laden Chappell recipe, if double-dipped as he recommends, can run off--especially if overfired or lacking a wide enough resist band. Others, like Roy's Frit 3134 glazes, produce similar effects to the GB versions without double dipping and run very little if fired in ^5 to^6 range. If you include the specific recipe you are using and your firing sched., a more specific solution might be more apparent.

All the best,

David

I love cone 6 Floating Blue Glaze, (Blue Hare's Fur), but it runs off my pots and makes a mess of the shelves. My pots are beautiful but my shelves take a lot of grinding to clean off. Any solutions??? besides not using it!

Okay... The Floating Blue is the Chappell recipe from Ceramic Arts Daily "10 best"

Cone ^6 oxidation.

GB 26% Cobalt 1%

Neph Sye 48% Lt. Rutile 4%

EPK 6% RIO 2%

Flint 20%

full kiln 2hrs- low, 3 hrs- med, about 9 hrs. high, cone ^6 shuts kiln off

I added 10% more flint last time, still ran and in no mater what area of kiln. If I dip once, it's brown, dip 1st for count of 5, dip second count of three.

All articles about this glaze say it's tricky but it so much like gas fired that I don't want to stop using it. Thanks for any help!

This is close to the original Chappell recipe that I used for about 10 years. The only thing lacking is the CMC (1 tsp. per 100 gram batch /a little over a pint for a 10k batch). CMC's important for suspension in the bucket and hardening the glaze surface after application. Of course your materials might be sourced differently, but I don't remember having any severe running problems with approx. the same dipping method you use and a 1/4 resist band. I don't think that more silica is needed.

This is a temperamental glaze that responds differently to different firing schedules and top temperatures. Like you, I started using it with manual settings but I got variable results. Using a pyrometer can help figure out the best schedule. Three things I did that differ from your firings: 1) fire to cone 5, not 6. 2) hold at the top for 20 min., 3) use a pyrometer and witness cones to judge the top temp. I don't think it's generally a good idea to depend on the sitter cone for an accurate temperature. You could easily be over firing by depending on it.

Hope this is helpful. Maybe others will have some ideas as well.

All the best,

David

Okay... The Floating Blue is the Chappell recipe from Ceramic Arts Daily "10 best"

Cone ^6 oxidation.

GB 26% Cobalt 1%

Neph Sye 48% Lt. Rutile 4%

EPK 6% RIO 2%

Flint 20%

full kiln 2hrs- low, 3 hrs- med, about 9 hrs. high, cone ^6 shuts kiln off

I added 10% more flint last time, still ran and in no mater what area of kiln. If I dip once, it's brown, dip 1st for count of 5, dip second count of three.

All articles about this glaze say it's tricky but it so much like gas fired that I don't want to stop using it. Thanks for any help!

• 3 months later...

I love this glaze also and use it as one of my major glazes. For me it needs to be double dipped or the color is not there. I only double dip the top half of the pot and brush the rest on, it works for me. I have not found many glazes that work in combination with this glaze, but I keep trying and maybe someday I will find a winner. I guess for me success with this glaze is all in the application.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...

I added 10% more flint last time, still ran and in no mater what area of kiln.

I swear by Emmanuel Cooper's rule of thumb for runny glazes: either reduce the flux or increase both silica and alumina. So however much flint you add, add the same amount of china clay. He recommends starting off with 5% and increasing if necessary.

Hope this helps

Happy potting!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived