Cone 5/6 crackle glaze

Sheilac

I'm looking for a clear or white crackle glaze that will fire to Cone 5/6. It's for a sculptural tile/mosaic piece I had originally planned to raku fire. But i was afraid I would lose some of the smaller pieces in the reduction process (Some of them are pretty small!) so I changed my mind - I've already glazed some of the tiles with >6 glazes, but still want the crackle effect on other tiles. What will happen if i use a clear raku crackle glaze? I had never thought of this until I read Doug gray's article on digital transfer technique. I'm assuming Doug fires his tile to >06, which would work since that's a raku temperature. Nothing Like planning ahead.......!!!

Yes, raku glazes fire at cone 06-05, but the crackle happens when you remove a pot from an 1860 degree temp and the cool air hits it. Go to your favorite glaze provider if you use commercial glazes and search for crackle glazes. There's quite a few out there.

Shirley

I'm looking for a clear or white crackle glaze that will fire to Cone 5/6. It's for a sculptural tile/mosaic piece I had originally planned to raku fire. But i was afraid I would lose some of the smaller pieces in the reduction process (Some of them are pretty small!) so I changed my mind - I've already glazed some of the tiles with >6 glazes, but still want the crackle effect on other tiles. What will happen if i use a clear raku crackle glaze? I had never thought of this until I read Doug gray's article on digital transfer technique. I'm assuming Doug fires his tile to >06, which would work since that's a raku temperature. Nothing Like planning ahead.......!!!

Laguna has crackle glazes that are cone 5...good luck.

Laguna has crackle glazes that are cone 5...good luck.

Uh oh....opened the kiln today and my Laguna cone 5 crackle glaze didn't crackle....what next!

Halo

I think the crackle not just depend on the glazes also the body. Usually the cracks on glazes surfaces come up when cooling (contraction) in the kiln. The cracking process still continue even the pot already out from the kiln. When the glazes and body have same rate in contraction, there are not cracking. on the contrary if the glazes more contract than body it will cracking. As alternative, there is a simple way. The body use high fired (Stoneware clay), meanwhile the glaze use low / middle fired (1000-1100 C). Both fired at low / middle fired (1000-1100 C). The result is the glazes surface will be crackle. Good luck:rolleyes:src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif">

Archived