Yellow clay

Hi there,

Plainsman F-95 fires to a nice natural looking yellow. I'm not sure if its' still available. Some of our guild members had trouble with the pieces leaking even after being glazed inside and out but I've only used it for decorative wear and love the bare finish with some glaze accents.

Peter

If you can't find one, you can always wedge yellow ochre or a yellow mason stain into your clay body. Try not to do it with the yellow ochre though as it's an iron saturated composite and can change the firing temp of your clay. Or find a clay that fires higher than your current firing process ... and over do it.

Either way, unless you can find a ball clay that is yellow to begin with ... have to modify.

Just make sure it's a clay that is easy to obtain ... To this day I don't have a thing to replace Ocmulgee clay since they stopped mining it. Lovely in reduction ... greenish brown which with a white grog was quite astounding. -sigh-

Just make sure it's a clay that is easy to obtain ... To this day I don't have a thing to replace Ocmulgee clay since they stopped mining it. Lovely in reduction ... greenish brown which with a white grog was quite astounding. -sigh-

Lizella Red is dug about 13 miles from where Ocmulgee was dug. One on the Ocmulgee River and the other on Echoconee Creek that runs into the Ocmulgee. Lots of potters who used Ocmulgee switched to Lizella when they stopped digging Ocmulgee. Lizella is still available. Interesting that you liked Ocmulgee in reduction. What cone?

BTW, you seem to know something about clay. Why don't you introduce yourself by giving some info in your profile and maybe a few pictures of your work. It sort of backs up what you have to say here.

Jim

Lizella, GA

Lizella Red is dug about 13 miles from where Ocmulgee was dug. One on the Ocmulgee River and the other on Echoconee Creek that runs into the Ocmulgee. Lots of potters who used Ocmulgee switched to Lizella when they stopped digging Ocmulgee. Lizella is still available. Interesting that you liked Ocmulgee in reduction. What cone?

BTW, you seem to know something about clay. Why don't you introduce yourself by giving some info in your profile and maybe a few pictures of your work. It sort of backs up what you have to say here.

Jim

Lizella, GA

Yeah, I heard about lizella. But when I did make my ocmulgee clay, it also used AP green for fireclay. Which, when you could get both of those was really inexpensive and with AP green and it's 20 mil awesomeness and the color of the ocmulgee doing great things ... was awesome for when I did work that had exposed clay (face mugs and the such) ... but now not so much. I used to fire to cone 10 reduction, with my face mugs, i had a porcelain I made that had molochite in it and the shrinkage rate matches, so whites of eyes, teeth, etc all contrasted greatly to the lovely surface area of clay. plus if the face had 'moist' spots like the mouth ... standard gerstley 75 ball clay 20 silica 5 recipe was great for brushing on some glossy spots inside those areas without killing the color.

Oh well, one day when I can mix my own clay again I might experiment with clay bodies again. I still have fond memories of it though.

And yeah, planning on working on my profile today ... artwork will probably be later .. out of town right now so my photos of work are on the home computer.

Archived