Are red stains stable at cone 6

docweathers

Thanks Marcia. Good resource.

Personally i've never been one to use mason stains ... too bland since it just makes this solid color with no characteristics. Nice for a liner and the few mason stain glazes I used in the past were for liners on mugs (lime green liner with an oil spot on the outside for example) but general rule, make a base that you can use any mason stain with so just avoid all zinc and tin in the glaze and you will be fine.

Atom;

The reason that I avoid Mason stains is that they are not fine enough for on-glaze brushing. [see gallery]. I use iron ox., cobalt carb andChrome ox. I use a Degrusia inclusion stain for on glaze reds at cone 10. My purple glaze has tin and copper in it. The reds are not affected. I will get you the number of the stain. Not in the studio right now. It's very expensive, but goes far.

TJR.

Guest JBaymore

you can ball mill the glaze with a mason stain and make them fine and equally held in suspension ... but really .... eff that.

Remember not to ball mill (or mortar and pestle) anything (slips, underglazes, overglazes, stains) that contain inclusion (encapsulated) cadmium bearing stains......... changes the Cd release.

best,

...................john

Archived