Newbie Looking for advice...

One of the reasons I like the idea of doing some low fire clays too is that I want to be able to paint on designs to my pots. I want to be able to write words etc. (it's a long story etc, goes along with studies of positive words impacting water molicules etc, etc) I love the color play that stoneware glazes offer, but I need to be able to do detailed designs as well. I am also HIGHLY inspired by polish pottery designs and would love to make "polish design inspired" That is why I was talking about using 2 kinds of clay (not at the same time of course). Is there a happy medium out there?

Ooh! You should look into using underglazes. Amaco Velvet Underglazes are stable up to cone 10 for most colors, and they are not only super easy to use but come in a variety of colors that you can blend as desired. So you can use them on low-fired or high-fired clay; just cover them with a zinc-free clear. smile.gif

Speedball underglazes hold color even better in my experience, and are usually cheaper, too.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speedball underglazes hold color even better in my experience, and are usually cheaper, too.

Fair point about the price - I haven't tried Speedball underglazes because where I usually buy my pottery supplies doesn't carry them. Can you blend them to create new colors, like the Amaco Velvets? What about mixing Speedball and Amaco brands?

Archived