Through an online contact Shiho Kanzaki he shared a little article that was written about Wabi-Sabi which Kanzaki-san says is, "The essence of Japan." Please take a look, this is the same experience I had when I lived in Japan and on my many visits. I only wish we could have a little more Wabi-Sabi in my area, maybe starting to acknowledge others is a good start.

Wab-Sabi Wednesday

I lived and worked in Okinawa Japan while I was in the USMC from 1994-96. I also worked out of Sasebo for a small time. I was able to travel around a bunch. I then worked at Intel Corporation for many years and visited Japan many times while living and working in Manila, Philippines. Not as much as I would have liked, but every visit was a treat.

I remember in 2006 when we were living in Manila and needed a break from the hecktic area. We went to Tokyo for a week and enjoyed the food and people and recharged. It was a simple trip with the children (yes we visited Tokyo Disney) where we went to temples and train rides in the hills and enjoyed each other. Simple, but magical.

It is sad to say, but I never practiced pottery while I was there, a missed opportunity.

Brian has organized some of us up here in the top left hand side to participate in a workshop with Simon Leach in May 2013. Kudos to Brian Reed.

I want to add on here that a really super connection for Mingei/wabi sabi object d'art can be found at the Glenn Richards Gallery in Seattle.

Also, Tatsuo Tomeoka has shops in Seattle area which sell tea, contemporary crafts and vintage crafts; and an expert on Mingei ceramics. Happy to talk to your group. His online lineup of contemporary makers of chawan is pleasingly gorgeous and inspirational. He is a super chap, and sent me on my way to connect with wonderful areas/people when I went to Japan in 2011 to participate in Mino International Ceramics Festival.

Thanks for the plug, and the kind words Dinah. I need to take the time to get to that Gallery. I think a session on chewans would be great. Maybe I need to get that setup.

Brian,

You might want to reach out to Hank Murrow (http://www.murrow.biz/hank/index.htm) who is in Eugene, Oregon. Makes wonderful chawan, yunomi, and other wares with a beautiful shino.

Archived