Pugging different clays together.

Harry Potter

Sweet wife bought me a New Peter Pugger for Christmas. I have buckets of clay from projects gone bad. Clay is mixture of stoneware, earthernware, skosh of porcelan. As clay is all mixed together II would like to pug for a Raku mix. Will this be Ok for a Raku clay? Any comments from experienced potters would be appreciated.

If you can pug some grog into the mix it may improve the refractory requirements needed for a raku clay body. he earthenware and porcelain might be a bit dense compared to the stoneware. stoneware that I have used in the past has been good for raku but it had a good bit of various size mesh of grog.

Many types of earthenware do not contain much grog. Terra cotta usually does. Sometimes porcelain can survive raku but usually it can crack or daunt in the process.

nice Christmas present!

Marcia

If you can pug some grog into the mix it may improve the refractory requirements needed for a raku clay body. he earthenware and porcelain might be a bit dense compared to the stoneware. stoneware that I have used in the past has been good for raku but it had a good bit of various size mesh of grog.

Many types of earthenware do not contain much grog. Terra cotta usually does. Sometimes porcelain can survive raku but usually it can crack or daunt in the process.

nice Christmas present!

Marcia

Thanks for your reply. Makes sense, a little extra grog wouldn't hurt regardless. Porcelain amount is very minimal.

Archived