Now it's bone dry--?too late?

You can tell I'm learning. Yes, I let it get bone dry and now is there any way I can 'reconstitute' this little mug to accept a handle? I know some will say 'throw another one' --you need to practice/ ha. That's true but thought I would ask you guys if there any way I can save this .

Alteredclay

If this mug means the world to you, then try this.

Put the mug on an out of the way surface, surround it with a wet towel ( without the towel touching it anywhere ) then cover with plastic and let it hydrate slowly, checking daily.

When it is back to a reasonable degree of hydration throughout you will have a better chance of the handle sticking ... Use a slurry of that clay body. Make sure the handle you are attaching is close to the mug in wetness.

The reason I don't recommend just giving it a shot with paper clay right now is because it is a mug ... and who needs the handle detaching some day with hot coffee in it?

Guest JBaymore
The reason I don't recommend just giving it a shot with paper clay right now is because it is a mug ... and who needs the handle detaching some day with hot coffee in it?

.....while you are holding the mug over your 2 year old! :blink:src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif">

best,

...................john

You can re-moisten the mug as Chris suggests, or actually wring out the towel or rag and let it touch but without dripping water and wrap in plastic.You may need to remoisten the towel or rag daily. Also pull the handle and let it set up a bit.

Mix some paperclay in a blender using toilet paper, dried powder of your clay body, some water, vinegar and a dash of sodium silicate a drop or 2 only.

Mix to a peanut butter thickness and slightly wetter. Do this by adding the powdered clay as you are blending. you need about 15% volume of paper to clay.

Let the toilet paper soak over night. Squeeze the water out of it and select an estimated amount you need.

When the mug and the handle are close to the same moisture content, put them together with the paper clay mix..

Marcia

You can re-moisten the mug as Chris suggests, or actually wring out the towel or rag and let it touch but without dripping water and wrap in plastic.You may need to remoisten the towel or rag daily. Also pull the handle and let it set up a bit.

Mix some paperclay in a blender using toilet paper, dried powder of your clay body, some water, vinegar and a dash of sodium silicate a drop or 2 only.

Mix to a peanut butter thickness and slightly wetter. Do this by adding the powdered clay as you are blending. you need about 15% volume of paper to clay.

Let the toilet paper soak over night. Squeeze the water out of it and select an estimated amount you need.

When the mug and the handle are close to the same moisture content, put them together with the paper clay mix..

Marcia

You guys are just great. This mug really is a sweet little guy:). He's light weight, even walls = a big accomplishment for me. I have learned this: Don't let things get bone dry!! But, I'm tired of recycling and wedging all my redos. ha. Now, I can learn what it takes to rehydrate something and if it's worth the extra time. I will start the process and will end up victorious in my endeavor. This new medium is becoming addictive--scary.

Catherine

A thin mug doesn't have to have a handle nor does it have to be a mug. A very adorable small vase with a sweet little bouquet of one or two flowers such as peonies can make your "mug" have a prominent place where otherwise it would be in the dishwasher, or in a cabinet.

Good points and suggestions

I now have a few other possible uses for this piece

You can tell I'm learning. Yes, I let it get bone dry and now is there any way I can 'reconstitute' this little mug to accept a handle? I know some will say 'throw another one' --you need to practice/ ha. That's true but thought I would ask you guys if there any way I can save this .

Alteredclay

Sorry I am a bit late in replying. All the advice so far is great. For me though, I actually have dipped a dry pot in water. Yes, submerged. I also use a spray bottle of water to accomplish the same thing. It is amazing just what a vessel can withstand, if it has been well-thrown. I can't claim 100% success, but still, I have completely reconstituted dry pieces several times by merely wetting them, waiting, and rewetting. Sometimes it takes three or four sprays.

A further method is to use a commercial product called "Klay Klutch." (Not sure of the spelling.) If the cup is bone dry, you'll have to make your handle and let it dry out completely, too. Then using the clay clutch product on both pieces, simply press them together. I think it is slip with either acrylic emulsion or some other sticky medium. After bisquing, you're as good as new.

Personally, I vote for re-throwing a new cup. At your stage of the game, the more experience you can get, the better. Good luck!

Archived