What kind of kiln is this? :)

That's a Lockerbie Kickwheel. Those are really nice kickwheels. ;)

best,

................john

They are indeed nice. My only complaint is that the water sprays all over that nice large work area. The splash pan just seems to catch it, and drip it on the work area.

Guest JBaymore

best,

................john

They are indeed nice. My only complaint is that the water sprays all over that nice large work area. The splash pan just seems to catch it, and drip it on the work area.

I throw pretty dry..........so not an issue for me. ;)

best,

....................john

I have the electric version of the same wheel. Same wheel, kick and frame, just has a motor and foot pedal. It is a messy wheel if one throws wet like I do. I just wear a workshop apron when I use it.

The kiln, I'd agree it's a Crucible, the burner looks odd. Not that I have much experience with gas kilns... Can you find any markings on it? I inherited a no name electric once upon a time. Turned out to be a Skutt that had been much modified and then turned to gas. It is now a future, future project...

C'mon guys, the Lockerbie is a great wheel. I like the table area catching all the goop before it spreads. It cleans up easy and if you don't like mess, learn to throw without all the water. I have a motorized model (and one can be added to yours if your leg gives out) and in the 27 years I've used it the only thing that's ever been done is to rough up the drive cylinder where the rubber had become slick. I have a two year old Stuart, but use the Lockerbie more.

best,

................john

I throw pretty dry..........so not an issue for me. ;)

best,

....................john

My Ceramics instructor in college, could throw on the wheel, using just a thimble full of water.

I too just require a thimble, mine just happens to be the size of a one gallon bucket.

Thanks everyone. I will look up Crucible and see if it's a match. I need to look again to see if I can find any type of info on the kiln itself, didn't see anything but never hurts to check again. I'm guessing the gas company will know how to hook it up?

Great news about the wheel, I'm pretty much only working in porcelain these days so the water won't be an issue, the less the better :)

Archived