Need A Clear Commercial Glaze For Earthenware

Because the glaze we have been using for 20 years has been discontinued (pink one forgot the name) we have been trying the new glazes from Gare and Duncan and we hate them does anyone have any recommendations for a clear earthenware food safe bisque glaze.

Our bisque is fired to 03 to 04 and we fire our glaze loads at 06. I don't mind if I get it in dry form, liquid anything. I'm open to try anything. We go through a good amount probably 10 to 20 gallons a month I'm open to try anything and any help is most appreciated

**whoopsie I thought I was posting this in the clay and glaze area

Because the glaze we have been using for 20 years has been discontinued (pink one forgot the name) we have been trying the new glazes from Gare and Duncan and we hate them does anyone have any recommendations for a clear earthenware food safe bisque glaze.

Our bisque is fired to 03 to 04 and we fire our glaze loads at 06. I don't mind if I get it in dry form, liquid anything. I'm open to try anything. We go through a good amount probably 10 to 20 gallons a month I'm open to try anything and any help is most appreciated

If you are going through 10 to 20 gallons per month, you might want to consider buying raw materials and mixing your own. That would have to be much more cost effective. I am sure there are low fire clear recipes you could use, perhaps starting with those from Linda Arbuckle.

http://lindaarbuckle.com/arbuckle_handouts.html

thanks bciskepottery that was something I very much wanted to look into. However now looking at it looks a bit more difficult to put my head around than I think I can work out.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to keep looking at her site see if I can figure it out more

• 1 month later...

Hi, I too have encountered the same problem used the Duncan Diamond clear for about the last 20 years, now discontinued. The new Duncan replacement the Clear Brilliance has been very dissapointing, the best I can get it is to bisque at 05 and glaze it at 05 still not great. I too had previously bisqed at 03 glazed at 06. Have you had any luck with any other clear low fire food safe glazes? Would appreciate any information you have. I have been trying alot of different glazes and firing temps. Just had a glaze mixed for me that a member here on the forum was kind enough to pass along, I will know tomarrow how it did, will let you know.

Beth

I have used Mayco clear commercial glaze and had no problems with it. They are a great company too!

Good Luck,

Panamax

Archived