Firing large beads

I am making a garden decoration...large tubular beads slid on rods that will go into the ground or in large pots. Rods are 36-48" long. Beads range from 1 inch to 6 inches in length...made from ^5-6 stoneware clay. They are bisque fired. Question is: can I use my ^5-6 glazes to dip the beads, leaving the last 1/4" to stand them on in the kiln for firing (to ^6)...Then, paint the last 1/4" in a low fire glaze, and stand them on the end already glazed in the ^5-6 glaze and fire to ^06 for the final (and 3rd) firing? in other words, will the ^06 firing heat the ^5-6 glaze up enough to make the bead stick to the kiln shelf? Or do I just need to put each bead on a stilt? (Too many beads to buy bead racks.)

Thanks for any assistance or ideas! Sandi

I am making a garden decoration...large tubular beads slid on rods that will go into the ground or in large pots. Rods are 36-48" long. Beads range from 1 inch to 6 inches in length...made from ^5-6 stoneware clay. They are bisque fired. Question is: can I use my ^5-6 glazes to dip the beads, leaving the last 1/4" to stand them on in the kiln for firing (to ^6)...Then, paint the last 1/4" in a low fire glaze, and stand them on the end already glazed in the ^5-6 glaze and fire to ^06 for the final (and 3rd) firing? in other words, will the ^06 firing heat the ^5-6 glaze up enough to make the bead stick to the kiln shelf? Or do I just need to put each bead on a stilt? (Too many beads to buy bead racks.)

Thanks for any assistance or ideas! Sandi

I would wax that 1/4" and single fire to ^5-6. "The unglazed bit is SUPPOSED to look like that, silly!"

Or, use some latex paint- but, hey, rules, schmules: Ars Longa Vita Brevis!

Never thought of that! I had seen a photo where the entire bead was colored, but who's to say how the ends got done, or whether they even need to be! Thanks!

Just a thought......If you don't want the bare clay to show, what about putting a velvet underglaze in the same color range as your glaze on the part that rests on the kiln shelf? Or you could do each 'end' in a black underglaze. (Check the label to make sure the color doesn't burn out at ^6.)

Just a couple more ideas - sounds like you're saying commercially available bead racks wouldn't be practical for all of your large beads, which I understand. You could make your own bead racks that better suit your needs. Or another thought is to incorporate the unglazed end (or ends if you leave them both unglazed) into the decorative design.

Archived