Cascade glaze did not drip

Hello!

I just did a kiln fire 06 and I had a vase piece which was glazed in a Mayco blue, and had white cascade glaze at the top, so it would drip down.

It did not drip at all.

I had cones in the kiln ( I used the cone 06 program ) and the cones looked fine so I don't think it is a temperature issue.

Any ideas what could have happened? Perhaps it was not thick enough?

Ahhh the joys of being a beginner!

Thanks,

Jocelyn

I have had this happen with two jars of Mayco Cascades, a yellow and a black. I also tried the yellow one a second time on Cone 6 (yes, that is a 6, not 06) and it stayed right where it was placed with no hint of a run at all. Fortunately, I really liked the two yellow spots and the form in general and decided to keep it for my personal collection of my work.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought I would share that it may just be the product, not the firing temperature.

John

I did a little searching on the 'Mayco Cascades' it is an odd thing. This is from the Mayco product description about the Cascades-

PC-602 White Cascade intermingles with the other glazes being used, introducing pure white to the colors you are using, blending with the color. PC-602 White Cascade has a minimum movement and will stay in the pattern that you apply it in. PC-603 Amber Cascade and PC-604 Black Cascade perform similar to the PC-602 White Cascade. PC-601 Clear Cascade produces a more flowing effect, and allows the color of the base glaze to show through. It can also alter your original color, creating a new color. It will form runs or you can direct the runs when you apply the product.

I am not sure why they are called 'Cascades' if they all don't move, but that is for Mayco to work on. What you can try because you know the PC-601 Clear Cascade is the only 'Cascade' that seems to move, you can apply the PC-602 White Cascade as a run where you want it to be and know it will stay there. Test first.

Archived