Looking for a good left handed throwing video

Hi, I've learned to throw right handed, but was just given a left handed wheel. I'm left handed. Are there any good videos showing left handed throwing out there? I learn best by watching so the advice to "just switch hands and do the same" doesn't help. I've tried searching, but nothing comes up here or on the Internet. Thanks!

I believe "Eastern" wheels turn clockwise, while "Western" wheels turn counterclockwise. Check youtube, etc. for Chinese, Japanese and Korean potters. Here is one to start

Many wheels now come with a switch for right-handed and left-handed throwers.

Thanks for the link and suggestions for searching. Unfortunately, the left handed wheel doesn't have a switch. I wish it did.

Hi, I've learned to throw right handed, but was just given a left handed wheel. I'm left handed. Are there any good videos showing left handed throwing out there? I learn best by watching so the advice to "just switch hands and do the same" doesn't help. I've tried searching, but nothing comes up here or on the Internet. Thanks!

Ironically being left handed like myself is actually an advantage when throwing pots. Your left hand is the inside forming hand and is especially important when making the inside of bowls. I did however have to teach myself how to hold the trimming tool in my right hand.

The old Shimpo wheels would turn counter clockwise or clockwise with the shift of a gear stick. This was a pain when teaching hobby classes as half the wheels would be going backwards. My advice, from one left-handed person to another, is learn to throw with your wheel spinning counter clockwise, like everyone else in the western hemisphere. If you throw backwards, no one could help you.

TJR

Archived