kiln wash

Help please

Yeasterday I sanded off all the old kiln wash I put on when I first got my kiln. It was flaking and uneven and sticking to my pots. I decided to spray on this time which was awesome. I sprayed 2 light coats, did a bisque firing with some pots and was going to add 2 more light coats today. I noticed that the wash just brushes right off and didn't seem to adhere. I did make a mistake and hit fast bisque instead of slow bisque so I was wondering if that was the problem. anyway DO i respray them and just try again on slow bisque??

Do the shelves just feel dusty or did all the wash come off?

The new kiln wash I purchased had that dusty to the touch affect when first fired. I vacuumed and wiped down the shelves to get the loose dust off. Quite different than the old caked on kiln wash, but it seems to work.

My recipe is 50 kaolin and 50 silica and then I add about 10-20% alumina hydrate and mix it to the consistency of milk. The shelves soak it up quickly.

I only need to clean the kiln wash after a color blushes onto it or something drips. I can usually pop off a drip easily. The blushing from cobalt glazes is necessary so it does not color my porcelain bases. I use a light grinding disc on a drill or dremel for a light cleaning.

Marcia

Ok I am sorry I just saw these post today. The kiln wash I use is from Clay King I have no idea what it is made from. The spray went on so nice and smooth. I refired a second time and had the same result with brushing off powder when I brush my hand across the shelve. I am did a glaze firing yesterday and decided to use some kiln paper I bought under a few pots with some new glazes I am trying and was unsure if they would run. Will let you know in a bit how things turn out. Thanks for the replys

Guest JBaymore

If that "kiln paper" you mention is made of refractory ceramic fiber .... do yourself a favor and look up the health information on RCF.

Unless there is a compelling reason to use stuff like that to solve some serious technical issue, where other solutions will nor work, it is not a great idea. You are needlessly getting RCF fiber dust into your environment.

best,

................john

Archived