I make that same product and your product needs to be......

I agree and I think sometimes insensitive critices need to think about how others interpet there words. Some are just jerks, but others may not realize how their comments are recieved.

I have seen it from both sides but it takes time.

Wyndham

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the medical arena this is called "jousting." That is to say, making negative comments about your peer in the record, to patients, or colleagues. It is the leading cause of malpractice suits. In any business, including pottery, jousting is and always should be a NO NO.

If you have a concern, have the courtesy to take it to the source outside of earshot of anyone else.

"If you have a concern, have the courtesy to take it to the source outside of earshot of anyone else"

Mine was an  made up example not a veiled message .

What i was trying to say was that some people are egotist that want to be superior and try to bully others by their unfounded self righteous knowledge.

On the other hand there are beginning potters that want to get their creations out for public acceptance that they may skip learning the fundamental or may have not been taught the basics.

I have spoken with some beginning potters that don't want to be bothers or believe it's beyond their abilities to dig deeper into the craft.

These two POV would not matter so much except, the public trust us to know what we are doing. I think the public's use of our functional pottery is the key ,in part,  to this debate

Wyndham

"If you have a concern, have the courtesy to take it to the source outside of earshot of anyone else"

Mine was an  made up example not a veiled message .

What i was trying to say was that some people are egotist that want to be superior and try to bully others by their unfounded self righteous knowledge.

On the other hand there are beginning potters that want to get their creations out for public acceptance that they may skip learning the fundamental or may have not been taught the basics.

I have spoken with some beginning potters that don't want to be bothers or believe it's beyond their abilities to dig deeper into the craft.

These two POV would not matter so much except, the public trust us to know what we are doing. I think the public's use of our functional pottery is the key ,in part,  to this debate

Wyndham

I am not good enough yet to sell my wares. I am one of the beginners and may be like a child asking strange questions and giving off comments. I'm here soaking up a lot and am trying to dig into that craft. Please have patience....

Patience is something that is a side benifit of being a potter. Enjoy the learning of all the different facets of clay. Keep a journal, take notes,find books on clay and devour them..

Find potters that want to share both the clay and glazing, many here are glad to share.

Strange questions?, look at some of my post :) you'll get there.

If you ever get to Seagrove NC there are over 100 potters in the area, most will gladly share their POV and help with your development in clay

Wyndham

It seems the thrust of the comment is that you can't trust the critques of people in the same business.  This is not quite correct.  You can trust the critiques of others in the same business to be based on their point of view.  This doesn't make the critique inherently untrustworthy.  It does however, mean that when such criticism is recieved, a listener must attempt to understand that point of view and decide if the viewpoint (or critique) reflects the listener's values. If it does, the listener must judge the critque and decide how to change; if it doesn't, the listener can continue on without sparing a thought for it.   

Archived