My attempt at professional pottery pictures

I just got in the mail my new photo backdrop.

I already had a photo cube but the backdrops that came with it werent good at all

so i went on amazon and purchased a Calumet PVC backdrop. it was $35 but I think it was worth it.

This is my newest bottle that I did, sticking with my tree motif. I also created this custom cork and

put this broken drawer handle that I found on the end of the cork.

Please comment on how you think the back drop looks or anything i could do differently with my pottery!

Im a 17 year old potter and Im trying to learn new things everyday! :D

I am no expert at taking photographs. I use some grey material for a backdrop and the result looks very similar to yours which I think looks fine. I really like your jug and think the idea of recycling the handle is great.

I think it looks good but if you lowered the black more to bring up the contrast of the piece, it may compliment your piece more and make it stand out better. The shadow is a little strong too. Do you have 2 lights...having the lights come from the sides can reduce the shadows.

Marcia

To me it looks like the pot is too close to the backdrop. The background should fade into blackness as if there's nothing there. On your photo I can see the pot casting a shadow onto the backdrop behind it. There should be minimal shadow from the pot, and it should only be directly below the piece. When I shoot, my backdrop hangs on a rod about 6 feet behind and 5 feet above where the pot sits, creating a long curved surface. This prevents any shadows on the backdrop, and makes it easier to bring the black down lower.

You say you have a photo cube, but did you buy matching lights? Ideally you should have one on each side and one diffused from above ... also there should be no other lights on in the room. It looks like you have a pink color cast which might come from the lights.

I agree that the backdrop needs to be further down and your vase further away from it though lighting could fix that shadow at the back.

The great thing about finally getting your photo set up right is that it is infinitely repeatable ... so keep at it! :D

On another note your image would be stronger if it was cropped differently ... less white area at the bottom and more black space at the top. Right now the pot looks scrunched down which makes the top stuff look like an afterthought.

I just got in the mail my new photo backdrop.

I already had a photo cube but the backdrops that came with it werent good at all

so i went on amazon and purchased a Calumet PVC backdrop. it was $35 but I think it was worth it.

This is my newest bottle that I did, sticking with my tree motif. I also created this custom cork and

put this broken drawer handle that I found on the end of the cork.

Please comment on how you think the back drop looks or anything i could do differently with my pottery!

Im a 17 year old potter and Im trying to learn new things everyday! biggrin.gif

Your pot is lovely ..... you're certainly getting there. Really well done

Christine

Good advice from the previous posts. Here's my bit-

Avoid the glare by not using a flash but use photo floods and point them upward toward the ceiling, (if it is white) and you will get the reflective light instead. Try different set ups and see what pleases you most. But don't use incandescent lights it will impart too much yellow and not give true colors.

I set up shots in regular light then set the composition with photo floods and after the shot I 'kill the lights'. The lamps get too hot if the lights are left on and I would be wasting usage time.

When taking the picture compose the shot. Position the vessel to show its best attributes. Sit at the same height as the vessel and look straight on. Check around all 4 sides of the image in the viewer to be sure the shot of the whole vessel is seen. Allow yourself enough room in the image to center the vessel leaving enough back drop all around. You may not get this in the first few shots but you can always crop off any excess. But if you have too little back drop adding more is almost impossible.

I hope this is clear and I hope this helps.

Guest JBaymore

I'm assuming here that you are shooting digital?

Whatever lighting you are using, remember to "custom white balance" on your camera before shooting. It is simple. Fill the frame with a true white piece of paper and press whatever key your camera says to press. Done. That way you can use many different types of light(s) without color issues.

If you are shooting film.... make sure that ALL your light sources match the Kelvin rating of the film you use.... otherwise colors can be WAY off.

best,

....................john

Archived