Food Dye In Commercial Glaze

Lucy

I'm applying clear matte glaze to portions of white, bisqued earthenware and I can't tell where I've put the glaze because they're the same color. If I color my glaze w/ food coloring, just so I can see where it is as I apply it, will that burn off in the kiln w/out affecting the glaze? Thanks.

I've heard of people using food coloring in wax relief and it fires out

I am not sure about this entirely, I would imagine it fires out. I did notice a whole lot of food colouring in my office when I recently took on a position as a ceramics technician, so I will get round to testing this out. although I would bet on them firing out completely .

• 4 weeks later...

I have done this in my k-6 classroom to help distinguish glazes from each other (add red to clear, blue to blue-looks too much like green). I haven't noticed any problems, but then again, its on children's work and having residue is the least of my worries!

Guest JBaymore

Most food coloring burns out....but not all. I have seen greens and blues that leave traces. Red and yellow usually are safe bets. But the real issue is to simply test the colors and brand you might use in a white glaze. Then you'll know for sure.

best,

.................john

Archived