• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Wil

Wil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

I have been making my own clay for the past four years, but just recently I have been wanting a white body clay. I have some "B" mix and a lot of Highwater in the studio. I would prefer to make my own clay because of the cost and control I have over the product. I would appreciate any and all inputs as to where I can get a good recipe for my own cone 6 clay that will fire out white.

#22 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Would love to see more answers from people in the NC area, especially since I live five miles from Highwater. I love some of Highwater's cone 10, but I fire to 6. Little Loafers is wonderful for handbuilding but tends to collapse when I am throwing large pieces. Desert Buff is great to throw, but I am having problems with it and some of my glazes. I just got a bag of Bella's Blend to try. It vitrifies at 5-6 but can slump if hotter than 6. It is soft and smooth as butter, so it is easy on my hands, but I was able to make a fairly large bowl quickly and with no sagging. It is plastic and very forgiving. I am hoping it works well with my glazes.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#23 Wil

Wil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

I have for a time, used "B" mix and enjoy it, but it still gives me a headache at times. The size of my pieces cause some problems. I want to try porceline and I am about to start making my own, but I do not like working with cream cheese. It is therefore, the reason I am working at making my own white body. I want that so that my pastel colors stay pastel and the white stays white. I want my colors to stay alive, so I will be using white.

No particular source as yet. I am still experimenting. I will check with a source in Baton Rouge in a couple of weeks, he will blend and produce my clay for me once I get it formulated.

#24 bobbiedee

bobbiedee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

I have for a time, used "B" mix and enjoy it, but it still gives me a headache at times. The size of my pieces cause some problems. I want to try porceline and I am about to start making my own, but I do not like working with cream cheese. It is therefore, the reason I am working at making my own white body. I want that so that my pastel colors stay pastel and the white stays white. I want my colors to stay alive, so I will be using white.

No particular source as yet. I am still experimenting. I will check with a source in Baton Rouge in a couple of weeks, he will blend and produce my clay for me once I get it formulated.

If Southern Pottery is still there, they are great!...I used them many years ago while at Tulane

#25 JLowes

JLowes

Clay Doodler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia area

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

For raku, which I make a lot, I like Stone Mountain Clay & Glaze Company's Raku #251 for all around raku work (sometimes, when I make a really nice form, I even fire it electric to cone 6 for functional ware). For larger raku work and saggar work I like Highwater Clay's Moon White, it throws and fires wonderfully.

For functional, figurative and scupltural work at Cone 5-6 I like Highwater Clay's Earthen Red, or at Cone 06-04, also Earthen Red. For woodfire, I like Highwater Clay's Hestia and Craggy Crunch.

Oh, was I supposed to just pick one?

John

#26 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

My day job pays for my clay habit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg area, PA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

I live in PA, so Standard clay is, well, standard. I like 211 (Hazelnut, cone 6) for its yummy, rich brown color -- I'm not a big fan of the grog in it, but it's manageable. I recently got a box of 240 (White, cone 6) and although it's a bit too soft for throwing anything more than a half-pound right now (right out of the box), I am loving the butter-like consistency. :)

#27 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Would love to see more answers from people in the NC area, especially since I live five miles from Highwater. I love some of Highwater's cone 10, but I fire to 6. Little Loafers is wonderful for handbuilding but tends to collapse when I am throwing large pieces. Desert Buff is great to throw, but I am having problems with it and some of my glazes. I just got a bag of Bella's Blend to try. It vitrifies at 5-6 but can slump if hotter than 6. It is soft and smooth as butter, so it is easy on my hands, but I was able to make a fairly large bowl quickly and with no sagging. It is plastic and very forgiving. I am hoping it works well with my glazes.

I like to throw Highwater Red Stone, it seems to want to go up!

To lighten the color, sometimes I mix Red Stone and Ellen buff. Hooray for Peter Pugger !

I, too have had trouble with Destert Buff, pitting,

I don't like their white ^6 clays, for that I use Tuckers, nice whites.

#28 Wil

Wil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

If Southern Pottery is still there, they are great!...I used them many years ago while at Tulane

#29 Wil

Wil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yes, Southern Pottery is still there and I have used them and it appears that they may be the major source of my clays. I am still working on a blend for myself and it looks as though I may have done it. It fires great to bisk. Now my glazes need to be tested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users