Cooking spray as a release agent?

I did it a few times and didn’t notice any difference. If it sits around wet for a while in the reclaim bucket, it could make your clay stinky when the oil goes bad, a lot of it might make your clay less plastic, but that’s it.

I use cooking spray as a release agent on some molds. On pieces that dont work out, is it ok to put this clay "with canola oil on it" in the trimming bucket to reuse later. Will the oil affect the clay?

it probably wont affect the clay, but it really defeats the purpose of a plaster mold (if that is what you're using). The oil will seal the pores of the plaster, thus rendering it unable to absorb moisture and release clay on its own. The entire purpose of a plaster (or bisque, or wood for that matter) mold is that those materials absorb moisture from the surface of the clay allowing it to shrink away from the mold surface and release on its own. Mold release when press molding or slip casting clay is not necessary.

I use cooking spray as a release agent on some molds. On pieces that dont work out, is it ok to put this clay "with canola oil on it" in the trimming bucket to reuse later. Will the oil affect the clay?

What kind of molds are you using?

Sorry I didn't specify my mold type. I use the oil spray only on glass slump molds. Mostly items I find at the thrift stores. Also on some hard plastic molds. I also use corn starch but the cooking spray seems to work better on glass. Thanks for your replys.

What kind of molds are you using?

Archived