How do I adjust wheel head speed on Pacifica 800?

Hi All,

I hope this question hasnt been asked and answered in the past... If so, I apologize.

I have a Pacifica 800 wheel that is about 10 years old and has always worked perfectly with light to moderate use. Recently when I stop the wheel with the foot pedal the wheel continues to turn slowly... Very annoying. An online search of possible solutions has not helped. Has anyone else experienced this and can you offer suggestions on how to adjust the speed?

Thanks in advance,

Cheryl (aka I love ice cream .... )

Recently when I stop the wheel with the foot pedal the wheel continues to turn slowly... Very annoying. An online search of possible solutions has not helped. Has anyone else experienced this and can you offer suggestions on how to adjust the speed?

Did you check to see if there was anything built up on, or stuck between, the pedal and base that might be keeping the pedal from totally turning off the power? Sometimes clay slop gets in the pedal joint and needs to be cleaned off.

Recently when I stop the wheel with the foot pedal the wheel continues to turn slowly... Very annoying. An online search of possible solutions has not helped. Has anyone else experienced this and can you offer suggestions on how to adjust the speed?

Did you check to see if there was anything built up on, or stuck between, the pedal and base that might be keeping the pedal from totally turning off the power? Sometimes clay slop gets in the pedal joint and needs to be cleaned off.

Hi, thanks for your advice. I did clean everything up on the pedal and that did not fix the problem... Any other ideas?

There are a couple of possibilities. First, try what's in this manual HERE. If that doesn't work, it could be a loose mechanical connection in the pedal. If I remember correctly, and this is hard to explain without one in front of me, there's a rod through the pedal that the slider mechanism is attached to. That connection has possibly come loose and the slider isn't getting pushed all the way down to the off position. You'll have to open up the pedal and adjust it.

There are a couple of possibilities. First, try what's in this manual HERE. If that doesn't work, it could be a loose mechanical connection in the pedal. If I remember correctly, and this is hard to explain without one in front of me, there's a rod through the pedal that the slider mechanism is attached to. That connection has possibly come loose and the slider isn't getting pushed all the way down to the off position. You'll have to open up the pedal and adjust it.

Than you Neil, I'm going to go trouble-shoot now. Will let you know how it goes.

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through this scenario with Laguna Clay.

Last year replaced the peddle with a new one because mine got wet and corroded inside.

This year after a couple days of throwing the wheel head would not stop turning without switching it on/off several times, finally wouldn't stop at all.

Imagine having a gaggle of pots ready to trim and this happening....

Laguna was quick to repair and return the peddle.

I asked what they did to repair and was told by the service guy Segio:

Sometimes the potentiometer can not fully stop the throwing head, so to resolve this issue, we install a kill switch inside the foot pedal. Everything should work fine now.

So, I doubt you'll be able to repair it yourself. :(

Last year replaced the peddle with a new one because mine got wet and corroded inside.

This year after a couple days of throwing the wheel head would not stop turning without switching it on/off several times, finally wouldn't stop at all.

Sometimes the potentiometer can not fully stop the throwing head, so to resolve this issue, we install a kill switch inside the foot pedal. Everything should work fine now.

With the idea it might not be too hard to implement.

What would be needed is a waterproof momentary switch (someone like Graingers would be a place to look)

then it would just need to be placed where the switch would activate either close or open depending on how it's positioned

So they have a design flaw that they are aware of. And rather than correct the problem with a different potentiometer or a redesign of the foot pedal, they just wait for a customer to have a problem and then add another part to compensate. Classic.

Archived