Brandon Franks

Can I use E.P.K. as Kaolin?

Can I use EPK as a substitute for kaolin in a clear glaze?

It shouldn't change anything... right?

I'm just testing a new clear glaze, small 200 (g) batch tomorrow. If you have any ideas/experience with substituting it, let me know!

Liam is spot on. EPK is a popular clay mined in Florida I believe. Ive attached a list of some common clays below. Glazes are a combination of roughly 13 base components providing silica, alumina and fluxes to help them melt. How much silica, alumina etc.... is the important part so in the end when mixing a glaze as long as the substitute provides near exact amounts of these items the glaze should likely work as originally designed.

EPK in this case, is near certainly the Kaolin in your recipe, so it appears you are building it as intended without substitution. FYI - Calcined kaolin is merely epk bisque fired to remove chemically combined water. Often Also another popular question.

08B49EE7-61EE-4F00-A968-5B4DCE11DB8E.jpeg.7948ac1c2beb131a77e6c67815c72427.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

On 6/17/2019 at 12:42 AM, liambesaw said:

EPK is kaolin, so yes!  It stands for Edgar Plastic Kaolin and is one of many types.  If a recipe calls for Kaolin, any should work, however EPK is most common in the USA so it is what I use.

That's what I figured, thank you!

On 6/17/2019 at 6:49 AM, Bill Kielb said:

Liam is spot on. EPK is a popular clay mined in Florida I believe. Ive attached a list of some common clays below. Glazes are a combination of roughly 13 base components providing silica, alumina and fluxes to help them melt. How much silica, alumina etc.... is the important part so in the end when mixing a glaze as long as the substitute provides near exact amounts of these items the glaze should likely work as originally designed.

EPK in this case, is near certainly the Kaolin in your recipe, so it appears you are building it as intended without substitution. FYI - Calcined kaolin is merely epk bisque fired to remove chemically combined water. Often Also another popular question.

08B49EE7-61EE-4F00-A968-5B4DCE11DB8E.jpeg.7948ac1c2beb131a77e6c67815c72427.jpeg

Thanks, this is super helpful!