Can I use E.P.K. as Kaolin?

Liam is spot on. EPK is a popular clay mined in Florida I believe. Ive attached a list of some common clays below. Glazes are a combination of roughly 13 base components providing silica, alumina and fluxes to help them melt. How much silica, alumina etc.... is the important part so in the end when mixing a glaze as long as the substitute provides near exact amounts of these items the glaze should likely work as originally designed.

EPK in this case, is near certainly the Kaolin in your recipe, so it appears you are building it as intended without substitution. FYI - Calcined kaolin is merely epk bisque fired to remove chemically combined water. Often Also another popular question.

On 6/17/2019 at 6:49 AM, Bill Kielb said:

Liam is spot on. EPK is a popular clay mined in Florida I believe. Ive attached a list of some common clays below. Glazes are a combination of roughly 13 base components providing silica, alumina and fluxes to help them melt. How much silica, alumina etc.... is the important part so in the end when mixing a glaze as long as the substitute provides near exact amounts of these items the glaze should likely work as originally designed.

EPK in this case, is near certainly the Kaolin in your recipe, so it appears you are building it as intended without substitution. FYI - Calcined kaolin is merely epk bisque fired to remove chemically combined water. Often Also another popular question.

08B49EE7-61EE-4F00-A968-5B4DCE11DB8E.jpeg.7948ac1c2beb131a77e6c67815c72427.jpeg

Thanks, this is super helpful!

Archived