Ribs?

I was making a rib today. If I want a certain profile I just make a wooden rib to match and use it as a guide. Why don't we make Ribs out of clay? We can make it any shape or thickness we want, add our % shrinkage to keep it the right size. We could devise a way to put a slick glaze on it or burnish it. We could even put a slight cup in it to make it easy to hold. The only draw back I see to it is the fact that it could break. Is that the main reason or is there some other reason I am missing? Ain't clay fun? Kabe..........oops didn't mean for this to be in education section.

I was making a rib today. If I want a certain profile I just make a wooden rib to match and use it as a guide. Why don't we make Ribs out of clay? We can make it any shape or thickness we want, add our % shrinkage to keep it the right size. We could devise a way to put a slick glaze on it or burnish it. We could even put a slight cup in it to make it easy to hold. The only draw back I see to it is the fact that it could break. Is that the main reason or is there some other reason I am missing? Ain't clay fun? Kabe..........oops didn't mean for this to be in education section.

Kabe;

I used to make ribs out of Yamaha piano packing crate wood. It was mahogany. They are not importing from Japan any more. The only draw back I see[to the clay ribs], is that they would sink to the bottom of your throwing water bucket, and could be last in the slop bucket. Not a bad idea though to try.

TJR.

Kabe;

I used to make ribs out of Yamaha piano packing crate wood. It was mahogany. They are not importing from Japan any more. The only draw back I see[to the clay ribs], is that they would sink to the bottom of your throwing water bucket, and could be last in the slop bucket. Not a bad idea though to try.

TJR.

TJR Please send me a Yamaha piano in the crate so I too can try out the wood for ribs. Thank you, I had not thought about them sinking. and Stephen I am glad to hear that someone else has tryed it. Thank you for all the web sites too. Ain't Clay fun? Kabe

Kabe;

TJR.

TJR Please send me a Yamaha piano in the crate so I too can try out the wood for ribs. Thank you, I had not thought about them sinking. and Stephen I am glad to hear that someone else has tryed it. Thank you for all the web sites too. Ain't Clay fun? Kabe

I use part of broken bisquefired plates for ribs to throw bowls and plates. They work very well, and as all of us know you can get an immense variety of curves by the angle you hold the rib against the clay. Yeah-LOVE the clay!

Kabe;

TJR.

I use part of broken bisquefired plates for ribs to throw bowls and plates. They work very well, and as all of us know you can get an immense variety of curves by the angle you hold the rib against the clay. Yeah-LOVE the clay!

Thank you for your responce Pres. I haven't tried to use clay yet. But I work Maintence and Yesterday a storage shelf gave way and some 16 inch commercial tiles became mosaic pieces. As I was throwing them away I was looking at all the different shapes and thinking about clay ribs. I don't know if it was a ahh ha moment or a duuu moment but my wife does stained glass and we have a ring saw. It will cut any curve you want in glass or tile. I might have to dig some of the bigger tiles out of the barrel and see what they will do. Happy firing Kabe

Kabe;

TJR.

Thank you for your responce Pres. I haven't tried to use clay yet. But I work Maintence and Yesterday a storage shelf gave way and some 16 inch commercial tiles became mosaic pieces. As I was throwing them away I was looking at all the different shapes and thinking about clay ribs. I don't know if it was a ahh ha moment or a duuu moment but my wife does stained glass and we have a ring saw. It will cut any curve you want in glass or tile. I might have to dig some of the bigger tiles out of the barrel and see what they will do. Happy firing Kabe

I think you may have something there. I would try them with a sharp edge, and with a rounded edge, to see which works best for your style. I use plates with a rounded edge and get better compression. I use wooden ribs held at 30 to 45 to the clay for good compression even though the ribs are sharper on the edge. I like to use ribs inside and out sometimes when throwing to compress the form especially in a base walls supporting a large pot.

Yea Pres, I am going to cut some tile to shape and try it. I know a very skilled potter , Rob Wiedmaier from St Joe MO. He throws with two ribs at the same time and is able to get these ultra thin forms. These big globe shaped bottles and if you lift one up, it almost floats. 30 years of throwing might be part of it too. I have been working at it and am just getting to be able to throw with two ribs. not with 100% success yet, but if you are afraid to lose a pot or two you better change your past time. I have been making ribs out of 1/4 inch Luon( sp) floor covering material. If they work out right then I make them out of something more permiment. They work for quite a while before they fall apart. I have drawn up a profile of a bowl, like a cross section view and have cut out both the inside profile and the exterior. So I have a mated set of ribs. I inlarged the first drawing 32% and cut out the profiles, inlarged the drawing again by 32% and made that set of ribs. now I can throw three nesting pot with almost identical profiles and they will set perfectly inside each other. I pre-measure the base when I center my clay so the base is 3 1/2, 4 1/2, 5 1/2 respectively and then open it up and use the rib as a guide. It makes it very easy to get three pots that look the same. I hope this isn't some sort of pottery sin and if it is I have always prefered warmed climits anyway so I'll take my chances. It works really well. I have three sets of paired ribs now, for three different shaped bowls. You probably been doing this for a long time but it it is a new approach for me so I am really excited by the possibilitys.Now I will try to make the ribs out of tile. Ain't Clay fun Kabe

...It makes it very easy to get three pots that look the same. I hope this isn't some sort of pottery sin and if it is I have always prefered warmed climits anyway so I'll take my chances. It works really well. I have three sets of paired ribs now, for three different shaped bowls. You probably been doing this for a long time but it it is a new approach for me so I am really excited by the possibilitys... Ain't Clay fun Kabe

It is not a sin. It is the same concept as jiggering or jolleying.

Yea Pres, I am going to cut some tile to shape and try it. I know a very skilled potter , Rob Wiedmaier from St Joe MO. He throws with two ribs at the same time and is able to get these ultra thin forms. These big globe shaped bottles and if you lift one up, it almost floats. 30 years of throwing might be part of it too. I have been working at it and am just getting to be able to throw with two ribs. not with 100% success yet, but if you are afraid to lose a pot or two you better change your past time. I have been making ribs out of 1/4 inch Luon( sp) floor covering material. If they work out right then I make them out of something more permiment. They work for quite a while before they fall apart. I have drawn up a profile of a bowl, like a cross section view and have cut out both the inside profile and the exterior. So I have a mated set of ribs. I inlarged the first drawing 32% and cut out the profiles, inlarged the drawing again by 32% and made that set of ribs. now I can throw three nesting pot with almost identical profiles and they will set perfectly inside each other. I pre-measure the base when I center my clay so the base is 3 1/2, 4 1/2, 5 1/2 respectively and then open it up and use the rib as a guide. It makes it very easy to get three pots that look the same. I hope this isn't some sort of pottery sin and if it is I have always prefered warmed climits anyway so I'll take my chances. It works really well. I have three sets of paired ribs now, for three different shaped bowls. You probably been doing this for a long time but it it is a new approach for me so I am really excited by the possibilitys.Now I will try to make the ribs out of tile. Ain't Clay fun Kabe

You probably been doing this for a long time but it it is a new approach for me so I am really excited by the possibilitys.---Yeah, but I still feel like a newbie especially after NC. However, I have been at it for 40 years now, and make the clay move, it does not move me!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived