clay moulding

Hi,

i use a lot of air dry and fimo clay. I use it in my handmade silicon moulds but really struggle keeping the back of the pieces flat. Obviously i'm pushing the clay into the moulds and then de-moulding. Where im pushing the clay in i am trying to flatten as mush as possible but its not a reliable technique. Any tips/tool that can help?

many thanks 

8 hours ago, JanineRumble said:

Hi,

i use a lot of air dry and fimo clay. I use it in my handmade silicon moulds but really struggle keeping the back of the pieces flat. Obviously i'm pushing the clay into the moulds and then de-moulding. Where im pushing the clay in i am trying to flatten as mush as possible but its not a reliable technique. Any tips/tool that can help?

many thanks 

I've not used either of those clays in a long time, and also, not in silicon moulds, but......

You need to really fill them.  Absolutely as much as you can squash in.  Suggest you then leave it for a while to harden, then use a metal rib to scrape the excess flat to the back of the mould, before de-moulding.  Then, when dry (using a face mask) sand them flat.

After you've pressed the femo in to fill the details of the mold, add even more till it mounds up. Then use a flat femo blade or a razor blade if the pieces are small, to slice off the excess. Smooth any rough edges with your finger. The femo blade works best because it is about 8" long and 5/8" wide and very thin and sharp. It doesn't work as well on clay. A stiff fettling knife would work best for water-based clay.

Archived