Kiln Programming

SaraBlindBird

Hello.  I have a a very gently used Paragon TNF823 with a Sentry 2.0 digital processor.  It had been used for only a handful of firings when I bought it from an estate sale.  Up until recently I had only used it for clay firings by using the automated cone firings (no issues there).  I decided to see how it did with a simple glass fusing schedule, but the kiln will not save the complete schedule.  It will save the first 2 phases, but anything after that (ramp and hold) wont save.  I have never  encountered anything like this.  Any ideas besides buying a brand new processor?

@SaraBlindBird Welcome to the forum! Can you tell us more? If you program more than 2 segments, will it actually fire all of the segments, but then not store them? Or will it only fire the first 2 segments? HERE is a manual if you don't have one. Page 14 begins the Ramp/Hold instructions. Please post the firing schedule you're trying to use.

33 minutes ago, SaraBlindBird said:

As far as I can tell, it will fire the first two phases fine. I haven’t actually let it fire through the entire schedule. I can try that and get back to you. Here is the schedule I’m trying to program:

CCB1EC1F-2BEE-42E9-BDB2-856DA41712D3.jpeg

Based on this chart, I'm wondering if you're putting the numbers in backwards? The rate should be first, then the target temp. So, for segment 1, you'd first input 190 (the rate of climb), then input 480, the target temp. That may explain why it won't go past segment 2, because the numbers get weird for it after that if you're inputting them in the wrong order.

10 minutes ago, SaraBlindBird said:

@neilestrickthat’s how I learned how to write schedules years ago and have never changed it. When I plug it in, the 190 goes in the ramp and the 480 goes into temp. 

@Arnold Howard the preview screen will only show the saved info for the first two phases and then 0s for the following phases. 

Good. Are you sure it's set for Fahrenheit not Celsius? Page 22 in the manual I linked to.

Also check the Safety/max programmable temp, page 24.

A little bit of an update for you, I tested a quick 3 phase program last night, and it worked.  I was still unable to see any data/info when reviewing the schedule that I had inputted. I am going to test the full 10 phase schedule and see if it works. 

@chilly 10 phases is pretty typical when fusing and slumping together. I don’t use Bullseye glass, so my schedule may look slightly different from yours. I have a book that taught me a lot about creating schedules called Firing Schedules for Glass The Kiln Companion. There is so much good information in it; you should check it out if you get a chance. 

Archived