Styles & designs of ceramic vessels or objects

So I was going through some of the older posts on this forum, and came across a post for the "fuddling mugs"; something which I had not seen thus far. In this post I noticed a number of folks had uploaded images of different fuddling mugs, some even showing the details of how these mugs worked. I like this exchange of imagery which led to....

My question is; aside from searching the entire forum for information pertaining to a certain type of vessel, could this forum have a section devoted to just showing different examples of the same like objects; i.e. teapots, ewers, decanters, mugs, bowls, serving bowls, mixing bowls etc?

In my head this would be more of a reference for inspiration in regards to making new forms, and not necessarily an instruction or critique of design; a way to share pots of the same style, but made in different manners. For example,  Im in the process of designing a new style of soap dish for my product line; Ive already had at least 5 different ideas, all using a similar design (two part, catch basin below, with strainer on top), and it would be nice to see a whole slew of other design ideas.

Maybe either the moderators could list all the different kind of objects, and users could upload images/links to show what they view/think of as being that specific object, or a specific user could start a thread regarding a style of vessel, and it could be further enhanced with more user input, just as in the former.

I think it is very easy for anyone to go to google and type in "mug", which will return a few million hits, but being that us folks on this forum arent generally seeking what the google searches instantly turn up (i.e. 5 million hits of a white slip cast mug), it might prove to be a more influential reference than what google can generate. I know I get wildly annoyed when I do perform a search on google, which turns up a million and one pinterest images, which are somewhat related to what I actually searched for.

Is this a crazy/silly idea? Should we just search the forum for "mug" or "soap dish", and filter through the results, hoping to find what may or may not be there? Is this too much work? Would it get inundated with too much data.....would we blow the server up? Does something like this, already exist on another site?

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Edit; was thinking about this more, and Im thinking of like a "500 series" book, but online version.

https://www.pinterest.com/LeeUstinich/clay-tea-pots/ (500 pins)  and   https://www.pinterest.com/LeeUstinich/clay-tea-pots-more/  (100 pins and growing)

8 hours ago, elaine clapper said:

ideas on teapots, fuctional and decorative

I have two Pinterest boards dedicated to ceramic teapots from all over the world, and periods in history-mostly are contemporary--many are well-known clay artists--all are made of clay! I have one more dedicated to octopus clay teapots (less than 30 pins)  https://www.pinterest.com/LeeUstinich/octopinage/octopus-teapots/

On 2/7/2019 at 8:34 PM, hitchmss said:

In my head this would be more of a reference for inspiration in regards to making new forms, and not necessarily an instruction or critique of design; a way to share pots of the same style, but made in different manners. For example,  Im in the process of designing a new style of soap dish for my product line; Ive already had at least 5 different ideas, all using a similar design (two part, catch basin below, with strainer on top), and it would be nice to see a whole slew of other design ideas.

This is a really excellent description of a Pinterest board. I'm not the active pinner I once was, but I have probably a dozen boards all with different forms that I refer back to regularly. There's the added benefit that you can include items that aren't clay as well (ie glass, vintage tupperware or Bakelite butter dishes).  it's still an ideal visual reference, because it's a visual search engine, not really a social media platform. People don't really comment on things.

If you want feedback on new item development, Instagram can be very good for this. 

Archived