metallic lustres

alunjones

Hello, I am totally new to pottery and ceramics. I wish to use a metallic lustre glaze on a jewellery box. I have done the bisque firing. My question is: do I need to put an underglaze on first and do a firing, then put on the lustre glaze and do another firing? As I say I am a complete beginner

thank you all tips offered

AJ

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Metallic lustres (gold, platinum, copper, mother of pearl) do need to be applied over a glaze, or they'll look rough and weird. Typically, you add a glaze and fire that to temperature, then add the lustre and fire back to a much lower temperature (cone 022-017 or thereabouts).

Lustres can be quite costly, as they contain actual precious metals.  Using them as a total covering on a piece is one of the few things that would be really expensive in ceramics: a quick search shows 2 grams of gold lustre going for about $30-40 USD. Usually lustres are used as accents.

The medium that lustre is suspended in is pretty bad for you to breathe in, so you're going to want to apply it somewhere with a proper extraction fan, or outdoors. You should wear a proper respirator with a charcoal/vapour cartridge either way, or you can look forward to a really nice headache!

Brushes and applicators should be dedicated to the use of lustres, kind of like keeping your oil paint brushes seperate from your watercolour ones. Lustres like soft, smooth brushes, and usually if you're applying accents, the ideal ones are pretty small. You can also get lustre "pens" that are a bit like a kistka that you'd use for pysanki, but are for making a mark that's more like writing or drawing than painting. All depending on what you choose to do.

hope that helps, and keep us posted!

If you were after a metallic lustre like glaze there are some about.

There are bronzes quite frequntly used and recipes are about. Do a search in these forums.

They need to be applied to bisque ware like other glazes unless once fired ware.

Some of the additions to the glazes are quite toxic so care and protection required for mixing applying and firing.

Archived