Peter Pugger PM100

glazenerd

If its the older machine without vacuum I have been around a few-I cannot say it was the 100 or an old 50-60-or 80-same machine either way.

I have friend with one of the larger early models who uses it with stoneware.

All the older Peter Puggers where all made the same-great mixers and puggers just no vacuum . These machines worked great on stoneware bodies-they where aluminum bodies with no powder coatings on the outside. On porcelain it was very easy to get them to spin the whole batch if it got at all to wet-less so with stonewares.

At the time they where the best machines around-since then the vacuum chamber machines have far surpassed them. For straight mixing and pugging they still work great just not as air bubble free.

Keep in mind when they started out they where the best in field -and to this day I feel the same way as they know mixing/pugging and this was the 1st machine to do both funtions. Until that time you had mixers and puggers each a separate piece of equipment .

Its just like Jim Bailey and his slab roller-he made the 1st real professional model and  it is still the best of all slab rollers as he has been at it the longest.

what is it you would like to know about these early machines?

My beef with the Soldner is its made for your to unload with your hands digging it out bent over out of a concrete tub-It was a killer when I was 25 and 30 but now it makes NO sense.

The gear box on all those Peter puggers is killer strong with a chain drive. The clay comes out of mixer in an extrusion a few feet above ground lever vs bend over and dig it out.No matter how high you set up a Soldner you still have to hand dig the clay out.Very poor design.

I liked Paul  Soldner-my brother had a few classes with him in the 60's in so-cal summer program but that machine is ill conceived -His wheel is a much better product.

I have worked on his mixers more than once (electrical)I would avoid them.Seen them with cracked tubs and also bars that needed rewielding

I do not like bashing things but honesty is best and its very hard to really get any objective view on products in our industry.Well thats my bais .

Just now, Mark C. said:

My beef with the Soldner is its made for your to unload with your hands digging it out bent over out of a concrete tub-It was a killer when I was 25 and 30 but now it makes NO sense. exactly; after 45 of swinging a hammer and 1000 houses later:,more than tired of bending over. I built a portable stand for my SS20, just roll it around: loading hopper is waist high.

The gear box on all those Peter puggers is killer strong with a chain drive. my main concern: I realize it has a 3hp motor, but it is also spinning 250lbs.

after 45 years, think the time has come to hang up the tool belt. Maybe a flip house now and then; but I am thinking its time for the next generation.  Thanks for the input.

I think they (Peter Pugger) have designed their machines to handle the loads plus some extra-they are over engineered and overbuilt for sure.

What seems to be true is the best equipment is made by the folks who started back the longest

Brent wheels-started in 69-70

Bailey slab rollers early 70's

Peter Pugger-mix and pug all in one machine-70's

There folks still stand out as they have been doing the same thing for so long.

Sure they all have been knocked off but their equipment is still the best no matter what speedball is making in China.

Now thats not to say that the whole line is best of any company but these basic items they started with are perfected beyond the competition

Meaning a Brent kiln is not going to shine like a Brent wheel

To some degree you get what you pay for.Quality does cost more.

I started my business with a Brent wheel in 1970 for $270 from Robert Brent himself. I had no idea at that time I was starting a business as I was 17 and wanted to throw pots more than just at school.That wheel lasted 20 plus years before any repair and the fix was for free.

All these businesses stood behind their equipment back then.They where small timers starting out and trying to make it right from the start .

• 3 weeks later...

I have a VPM 60 (newer), but have run older PM-50's, but not the PM 100. The gear boxes and drive mechanisms on these machines are top notch. No complaints whatsoever. My variable speed drive on the 60 failed a couple years back; bad manufacturing. Peter pugger replaced it at their cost basically; good customer service. One of the older PM 50's had an issue where if it was fully loaded, and the clay was stiffer it would blow pop the re settable fuse/relay on the motor; machines were wired properly. Even my modern VPM 60 will overload the fuse on it from time to time when I truly over stuff if with hard stuff. What Ive found among any of the Peter Pugger pug mills(table top to monsters) is that as long as the clay is in the relatively wide range of throwable consistency, then they have no problems being stuffed to the gills and run. However, if you are recycling clay from dry scraps I would make sure to keep the clay moist before you stuff it full to mix. When I bought my machine I spoke with PP and they regularly show off the machine's torque and durability by taking fully dry 25# blocks of clay, stuffing them into the hopper, and turning the machine on. I tried it myself too; crushes the blocks into fist sized pieces, which made nice usable clay 30 mins later.

On a side note PP does also build units with more powerful motors than what are regularly sold to general public if they know the machine is going to be in heavy/industrial use. So if you're buying a new one, and worried about it, spend the extra $1k and get the beefcake of the motor they offer.

Archived