Kiln Value Assessment Needed

WoodlandPotter

Hi Everyone!

I have decided to sell my old Olympic kiln and was wondering if I you would be willing to go over the description and photos and give me some idea as to how much, in US dollars, do you think I should sell it for.  Thanks!

-Charlotte

Olympic 2327H Manual Kiln Sitter kiln. Single phase, 240 volt, cone 10, 45.0 Amp Kiln.

This kiln has been in continual use in my studio since 1992. Very reliable and I have made many thousands of pots using it, mostly to cone 04 bisque and cone 6 glaze. Selling it because I have a new kiln and I realized that I don’t really need two full size kilns. This has been a really wonderful kiln to use. It has a lot of life left in it for someone to make fantastic pottery with.

Features:

1. One owner.
  2. Dawson LT-3K Kiln Sitter - Sensing rod, weight and claw in good, useable condition. Cone supports need to be replaced. I ordered new ones and those are included. Kiln Sitter also has a timer.
  3. Elements are new- Replaced these last year. Kiln has gone through a number of firings with the new elements, so they are properly conditioned and work very well.
  4. Wiring and Switches in very good condition.
  5. Fire brick walls of the kiln are mostly in excellent condition. Only one small place on the wall (see photo) shows a missing piece. This is no big deal as the element in this area is properly held in place with extra kanthel pins.
  6. Lid handle has some corrosion on it, but is functionally sound.
  7. Lid brace is in good condition.
  8. Lid fire brick slab is in good condition.
  9. Metal jacket on kiln is in good condition with only small cosmetic discolorations.
  10. Floor slab of the kiln has some cracks in it, (see photo) but they do not appear to go all they way through. (Ware was never fired directly on the floor, but rather on bottom shelves, the reason the floor is free of glaze drips.)
  11. Kiln comes with original metal stand.
  12. Kiln comes with original Dawson Kiln Sitter calibration plate. This plate is used to calibrate the kiln sitter, so the kiln sitter functions properly.
  13. Power cord sports a nema-650 plug. The plug had been replaced. The power cord is in very good condition.
  14. Kiln comes with three (two of which are original to the kiln) peep hole plugs.
  15. Kiln comes with original lid wedge.
  16. Kiln comes with original manual.
  17. Kiln comes with assorted boxes of kiln sitter cones. Cones 018, 06, 04, 6, and 7 mostly.
  18. Kiln is sectional, with separate power boxes, that plug into each other, so it can be unstacked for transportation.
  19. Kiln sports three switches: low, medium and high.
  20. Can demonstrate that it powers on and heats up, as it is currently sitting next to outlet.

IMG_4437 copy.jpg

IMG_4476 copy.jpg

IMG_5461 copy.jpg

IMG_7758 copy.jpg

IMG_4718 copy.jpg

IMG_7759 copy.jpg

IMG_7760 copy.jpg

Here's what I would be thinking if I were considering buying it:

The wall bricks are in good condition, but they are old and have a lot of firings on them. I think you'll probably find when you unstack the kiln that the floor cracks are worse than you think. That doesn't necessarily  mean it can't still be used, though. It will need a piece of sheet metal under it to support it better than the stand, assuming it survives the move. If it doesn't survive the move, then it's $350 to replace it with a new floor slab.

How many firings are on the elements? 'Replaced last year' could mean they're like new, or it could mean they've already got 100 firings on them.

At 26 years old, the wiring is probably due for replacement, and the interbox plugs will need to be removed and hardwired before they fry out.

I'm going to have to spend about $75 on steel and wiring, which isn't too bad. But it is an old manual kiln and we're in a digital age. If I were to add an external digital controller to it, that would cost me $600. The new digital version of this kiln can be purchased for $2100. Assuming the elements are good and the floor will hold together,  I would pay about $450 for your kiln. If the floor is shot and it needs elements, I wouldn't buy it.

Archived