Mimic Ceramic Luster

I am an art conservator based out of Cincinnati, OH, and I work primarily in the repair of ceramic objects. Sometimes, a repair necessitates the use of reversible (non-permanent) fillers and paints to bring the object back to its intended appearance. One of the biggest stumbling blocks I have encountered comes with the repair of pieces that incorporate gold luster. In all of my searching and testing I haven't found anything that even comes close to the beautiful smoothness and reflective quality of a fired gold luster.

Have any of you in your work come across anything that mimics gold luster, without being fired?  I have tried all sorts of leafing products and paints, and nothing looks remotely close. I hope that someone out there has some leads that could help steer me in the right direction!

Thanks!

I wish I could be more helpful. It's of note that nail polish at has some of the nicest and quite durable paints around and technically they are removable if what you're applying them to doesn't react to acetone (nail polish remover). Go for the fancier brands they'll be ground finer. There's also model paints but I've yet to see a metallic model paint better than your average nail polish. 

I have not found anything that will match the brilliance of gold lustre. 

Ive tried nail polish, acrylic and gold spray paint. Does not match the fullness and brilliance of gold lustre.   They do well on their own but not next  to gold lustre 

I learned that the best lusters are applied to a perfectly glossy, perfectly smooth surface. Surface prep for gold leaf needs to be just as perfect for a perfect result. Yes, it is very fiddly, but a skill that should be useful in your field. A clear gloss, again perfectly applied, might improve the gloss. 

That's a good point that I hadn't really considered, the quality of the base gloss. Typically I try to avoid doing much work to/around existing gold, since it can mar easily, but maybe if I find a good quality gloss coat that I can apply first to both protect the existing gold and help with the sheen of the new, I'd have more success. Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Archived