Old Kilns - not in working order for years

Angelia

Hi! I am new to the group so I apologize if this is an old question.  I have two Paragon kilns and no idea how old they are.  I also have no idea when they were last used.  I'm assuming it's been more than 10 years.  What is the best way to check if they even work without plugging them in and causing damage to them or the electric!  Or is there a way to check?  What do I need to look for? (My first kilns!)

Thanks!

Angelia

HI Arnold! Yes here are several pics! Thank you! This site won't let me load the images so here they all are on Dropbox.  Just click the link and you can view them all.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7249cxu89lgxv4p/AACYtDlBUjpSmDbI-6ikppVTa?dl=0

If they aren't worth fixing maybe I can sell them for parts but if they are worth it I would like to do that!

Thank you,

Angelia

I just had to replace my Paragon like yours that I used for 40 years.  It looks like to me you could build one good kiln out of those two.   I would put the good bottom on the kiln with the good  side wall firebricks.  You also have  a good lid that could be used on it.   You can't really test the wires  until you get the right outlet installed for your cord.  If you have a outlet for a  50 amp breaker you can always change your power cord to one that matches your outlet.   The knobs are hard to find,  I will have to check and see if I have a extra set.   I tried to sell my old kiln on craigslist for parts but didn't get any takers.  If you make one good kiln out of the parts you could sell it even if you aren't sure the elements work.   I can see the tube has come out of the kiln sitter,  I am not sure what is going on there.   I just replaced a kiln sitter tube on a used kiln I bought,  it was $50.00 for the replacement part.  You can move one kiln sitter to another kiln also.    Denice

Angelia, I didn't see a picture of the electrical data plates, but I believe your Paragon kiln is an A-82B. It appears to be in mint condition. The other kiln is a Vulcan.

Here is an instruction sheet for testing your A-82B. With these instructions, you won't even need to turn on the kiln to check the elements, switches, cord, Kiln Sitter, etc. This is because the ohmmeter readings are taken from the plug prongs, while the kiln is unplugged.

http://paragonweb.com/files/manuals/IM20-Ohmmeter%20Readings%20Paragon%20kilns.pdf

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

Thank you everyone!  I'll check out the file from Arnold and see what I can figure out.  I'm also concerned about the electric efficiency?  I would assume they pull a great deal of electric when running them.  Is there any way to make them more energy efficient?

Angelia

Load the kiln tight and new elements will help.   You probably won't notice much of a difference in your electric bill unless you plan to fire a couple of times a week.  If I fired my Paragon and my big Skutt in the same month my electric bill would be $20 to $25 higher.   How much you are charged for electricity can also make a difference.  Denice

Archived