Advice for mounting multi-piece sign

How about making a frame with a back to which you adhere the tiles using  any  tile adhesive that can be found in a hardware store. From there it shouldn't be hard to figure out how to mount the frame to the wall

I've just done a lot of research on making mosaics, and my advice would be to use something called Wedi board; it's a sort of new and improved cement board. Cement board, which you can also use, is heavy and hard to cut; Wedi board is light and you can cut it with a utility knife (lay on flat surface, slowly go over the cut several times, bend cuts over the edge of the table, then cut the last bit through). Anyway this is the standard stuff used to make backsplashes and shower tilework. It's waterproof. It's also not exactly cheap, I wouldn't blame you for just using plywood as a backing but you should definitely try to seal it with something against moisture, and then attach tile mesh so the work doesn't fall off from the weather (I might try putting a few staples w/ staplegun, a few short nails or screws , since I can't ever find tile mesh around here).  You may be just wanting to stick the tiles to a wall, that would be hard to remove if they ever needed to, but if you have to, I'd use the glue mentioned below and use packing tape to hold the tiles up: the glue takes 24hrs or more, to set up fully. 

To attach the pieces you want to lay a coat of tile adhesive. A quart tub cost me around $9, -hardware store. Do read the directions on the package. It will give you several hours to set the tiles in place. You'll need a tile grouting tool -think it's called a float? has teeth on the edge, they are fairly cheap. 

Good luck!

And watch this youtube, and others if you have time, you'll avoid some potential mistakes: 

I need to follow up and say the tile adhesive I used yesterday despite the wordy directions started setting up the smaller mosaic bits I'm using in about 1/2 an hour, although about 12 hrs later the larger pieces are still fully wet and I can still move them around. Probably wouldn't affect your project with large tiles. 

I think that the best thing to do is to ask to an experienced bricklayer or a tiler insted of potters! ;) Since the thickness  needs to be evened out with cement you need  someone who knows his stuff ... I  would not dare to do it by myself!

I would use a tile backer board -use a thicker one at least 1/2 inch thick. Use a waterproof tile adhesive which can be thinset (its cement and waterproof).Both of these materials are waterproof

you can make a frame from metal ,wood, whatever as its only coving the edges for looks.

It could be screwed to wall.

Don't forget to roughen the back side of the individual pieces to provide a proper gripping surface for the adhesives.  This is a step that should take place early in the designing and making of each piece of the mosaic. Waiting until after the final firing severally limits the reliable options.

LT

On 24/1/2018 at 11:55 PM, yappystudent said:

And watch this youtube, and others if you have time, you'll avoid some potential mistakes: 

Just now I had occasion to see the video... very surprised to see the Spilimbergo mosaics school! It's in my region and I know a couple people that attended it... excellent school!!;)

Archived