Throwing Large

I'm looking for some advice on throwing large amounts of clay.

I've been practicing just throwing cylinders and cutting them in half to

judge the evenness of the walls.

Currently with about 10 lbs of clay I can throw a 13-14inch tall cylinder but the walls

are about 1 inch thick, that seems too thick, but since I'm new to throwing large I'm asking.

How thick should the walls be on larger pieces? What about a 25 lb or 50 lb pieces I've seen?

Those walls can't be "tea cup thin".

I'm brand new to this form so if this is a previous topic, please direct me to that forum.

Thanks!

Currently with about 10 lbs of clay I can throw a 13-14inch tall cylinder but the walls

are about 1 inch thick, that seems too thick, but since I'm new to throwing large I'm asking.

How thick should the walls be on larger pieces? What about a 25 lb or 50 lb pieces I've seen?

I'm brand new to this form so if this is a previous topic, please direct me to that forum.

Thanks!

I have been throwing middle size to larger pots for quite a few years anywhere from 8 to 25#. some of the tricks I use are to throw with a normal stiffness clay body(one I usually throw with). Center and open up with water, make certain to set up the bottom and transition of the side walls well. Make the first pull-recenter-second pull-at this point I am usually 18 inches with 20#. Here I let the pot sit on the wheel spinning slowly for a few hrs depending on temp and humidity. Then I come back and start the pulls again with no water. My final unshaped cylinder is finger tips to arm pit at this point. I don't wear a shirt in the final stages as it drags too much. I do make pulls that are short 1/'3 top-then middle, then bottom towards the end. These seem to help me get the most out of the clay. At this point I usually begin shaping from the bottom up, and then top to bottom. I recenter after every pull, and pull tight. The final form usually has a wall thickness of 1/4 to 3/8 at center and top widening to 1/2 at bottom. The bottom is rib trimmed to match the form once finalized and further stiffened. Lots of time, patience, and strength use up in the end. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Probably all you need to do is to practice. You don't mention the kind of clay you're using but I assume it's not porcelain. Maybe dry your clay out a little but not so much that you use more water to center. Wedge some grog into the clay. Make the cylinder slightly concave. Attach your wheel to the ceiling and pull upside down.

Jim

Archived