Moist Clay Molding In The Plastic Bags

I have several 25lb. bags of clay that I have had less than a month and when I go to get one out the clay is growing gray mold on it. Is this normal??? Can I add a mixture of Clorox / water to the clay to kill it? What is the normal way to handle this problem?

I have several 25lb. bags of clay that I have had less than a month and when I go to get one out the clay is growing gray mold on it. Is this normal??? Can I add a mixture of Clorox / water to the clay to kill it? What is the normal way to handle this problem?

Wilboy: That happened to me once too. I think I just wedged it in. Not all clays will grow mold certainly. I wonder why some does?

h a n s e n

Mold is a common occurance with clays, and will not cause any problems in the final fired product - no need to add Clorox or anything else. In fact, in Japan traditionalists will age clay for very long periods of time (it's been said that the grandfather will set aside clay that the grandson will use), and the mold is a desirable indication of good aging.

No worries.

I think that this is pretty common. Depends on the area and season of the year (various mold spores). Just wedge it and proceed. I think the Clorox would work to killl the mold but is hard on your hands.

www.johnbrittpottery.com

Archived