Soldner Mixer Drum Repair

The drum on my soldner mixer was cracking, with some small pieces falling out.

I worked low viscosity epoxy into all of the cracks. Then covered the outside with two layers of 10 oz kevlar and epoxy resin.

Mixed several batches today. Having sealed the inside surface didn't seem to make any difference in the mixing process.

Bryan:

I have no frame of reference with Soldner, having never used them. However, my dad use to buy fiberglass repair kits from boat retailers and boat repair yards. He use to repair hulls of boats with it: very strong and durable. You would mix the resin, coat the surface, press in a layer of fiberglass, the coat again with resin: you could build multiple layers. Dad would sand it after it set ( respirator highly advisable). He use to repair rather large crack and holes in boat hulls, and it held very well. ... Will it work for you ???? but it was very strong and durable.

The reason that  I had low vis epoxy was because of some boat repairs that I had been doing.  The epoxy retailer said ( after I already had it) that  lo vis had been developed for concrete repair.

The kevlar I found on ebay in a 1' wide strip.  I only had to make one  1' cut.  Cutting kevlar is a real pain!  The finish top coats were thickened with kaoln, thanks to wikipedia. The epoxy barrier paint's description makes it sound like they used kaolin for the thickener as well.  

Sanding kevlar mainly makes fuzzy lumps. A big sharp chisel will take off errant threads and bumps.

when you say  " Having sealed the inside surface didn't seem to make any difference", do you mean the clay mixed as well as before? or is the concrete still falling out? I have aoldner mixer. It is in good shape, but your repair idea is good to know , if it worked.

Thanks for posting.

Marcia.

My back hurts just looking at one of those old mixers-I recall mixing 3 tons thru one of those when I was in my 30s-I still hurt from the memory of all that bending over.

I would think that the clay would not peel the same with a sealed surface-hence slow down the blending?

sounds like that was not the case.Take care of your back as you will need it later in life. Soldner never gave that much thought I think-even getting the machine up a few feet would help.

Archived