Vent Fans And Firing

I work at a community studio, and we leave our vent fans running until the kilns are completely cool and ware is removed. I just fired my first glaze fire in my own kiln at home, and I'm questioning whether to leave the fan running after the firing has been completed. I have a 7 cubic foot L&L kiln with 3" brick and programmed it with a slow cooling cycle. Will the vent fan cause the kiln to cool too quickly and thus undo anything I might have accomplished with my program?

I fire kilns three times a week at work, but I feel like I've never fired a kiln before now that it's my own kiln. Silly!

Thank you in advance.

Richarde

The kiln controller will do whatever it needs to do to maintain the cooling cycle you've programmed. The fan won't affect the results, assuming your cooing cycle goes all the way down to 1500F, at which point your glazes will be unaffected by the cooling cycle. It doesn't hurt to leave the fan on, and it will help the kiln cool a little bit faster at the low end when the kiln is off. It also won't hurt to turn it off. Your call.

Thank you, Neil. Yes, my cooling cycle went down to 1500. I'm so nervous! Once I have this glaze firing under my belt, I think I'll relax a bit. I'm always super careful with members' work, but when it came down to a kiln load of my own work, I got a little freaked out!

I love my L&L, by the way. You gave me some advice when I was trying to decide what kiln to buy.

Richarde

Archived