Sign in to follow this  
tb001

Glaze Chemicals--Storage & Sunlight Q

Wondering if any of the typical oxides used in glazes (copper, cobalt, etc...) are degraded by uv exposure. I have my oxides sitting in clear jars in a window and just occurred to me that may be an issue. Don't see anything on msds, but not sure it would be there?

As Lady pointed out: they are natural minerals that have been around a few million years before someone ground them up. I would not store metal oxides however because sunlight does cause oxidation in some cases. Lithium carbonate should only be stored in glass jars because it can leach chemicals from plastic. The rest however-- no biggie.

Marcia- apparently I am on your "not many" list. I have 100 grams of silver nitrate that I am saving for a special occasion.

Nerd

Great to hear! As a lab scientist in a previous life, I'm used to dealing with dyes that are photosensitive. Just occurred to me that I'm using some of the same chemicals in the studio, but didn't think about precautions until I saw what the sun had done to a magazine I'd left on the counter.