Choosing MFA ceramics programs

Hi:

I'm Looking for a mfa ceramics programs in the states. I'm an international students from China. I have my BA in ceramics then I went to UK to have a one year MA designer-maker course in Camberwell college of arts. I learn a lot from MA course but it is too short for me and I still have a lots to do in my work, besides, the course is quite diversity so there's not much specific ceramics support. So I want to have another 2-3 years mfa ceramics programs. I prefer a course more focused in ceramics concept. and as I'm a international student, I'm also considering about tuition fees and language supports. Thank you :)

Ni Hao, I would love to consider you as a candidate here at Central Washington University. There are many great MFA programs in the country that could be good for you. I have been to China few times and have often thought that it would be great for some of my students to go there to get their MFA. Nanjing University for the Arts. Lu Bin is fantastic for an example. Our applications are online and hope you consider CWU. Good luck in your search.

Guest JBaymore

Yaqi,

If you are not tied to the idea of the USA.......

Have you considered Tokyo University of the Arts? They have not only a Master's program in ceramics , but also Doctoral (terminal clay degree in Japan). Supurb facilities that span multiple campuses, ust about anything technically that you might want to do, and a large diverse and fantastic faculty. International, but no too far from your home too. SHIMADA Fumio-sensei is the head of the program at the moment.

Since Japanese Kanji utilizes the Chinese symbols for much of the content of the language, reading for meaning (if not pronunciation) should be easy for you.....so adding the work for the basic language level exam should likely not be too hard.

http://www.geidai.ac.jp/english/

best,

..............john

Ni Hao, I would love to consider you as a candidate here at Central Washington University. There are many great MFA programs in the country that could be good for you. I have been to China few times and have often thought that it would be great for some of my students to go there to get their MFA. Nanjing University for the Arts. Lu Bin is fantastic for an example. Our applications are online and hope you consider CWU. Good luck in your search.

Thank you so much for the advice~ I've saw your flickr and I love the studio of CMU!! I'll seriously consider CMU :)

Yaqi,

If you are not tied to the idea of the USA.......

Have you considered Tokyo University of the Arts? They have not only a Master's program in ceramics , but also Doctoral (terminal clay degree in Japan). Supurb facilities that span multiple campuses, ust about anything technically that you might want to do, and a large diverse and fantastic faculty. International, but no too far from your home too. SHIMADA Fumio-sensei is the head of the program at the moment.

Since Japanese Kanji utilizes the Chinese symbols for much of the content of the language, reading for meaning (if not pronunciation) should be easy for you.....so adding the work for the basic language level exam should likely not be too hard.

http://www.geidai.ac.jp/english/

best,

..............john

I like Tokyo University of the Arts and SHIMADA Fumio is my throwing teacher in my BA course. But the most problem is the language. I don't know japanese at all, although I can recognize some Kanji characters....(besides I'm not good at throwing at all:P)

I have my MFA in ceramics from Florida State

the best tip I can give is: do lots of research, visit schools, and apply to more than one school!

I applied to several schools and FSU offered me a paid assistanceship

What i didnt know at the time was that the ceramics perfessor was retiring and I went most of my time there working with scuplture and painting professors

Definately widened my knowledge in other areas but not having a ceramic prof hurt.

best of luck

I have my MFA in ceramics from Florida State

the best tip I can give is: do lots of research, visit schools, and apply to more than one school!

I applied to several schools and FSU offered me a paid assistanceship

What i didnt know at the time was that the ceramics perfessor was retiring and I went most of my time there working with scuplture and painting professors

Definately widened my knowledge in other areas but not having a ceramic prof hurt.

best of luck

thanks a lot for the information!

Definitely look into the professors status at the college, my professor was retiring the next year. He spent all of his time preparing to retire, building a new studio in New Mexico, new girlfriend and his work. He did apologize to me at my final show for not being around. after seeing my work and it's progression he realized that he hadn't been around enough to even know what I was working on. Denice

Archived