Commercially Available Clear Glaze Base

cabako

What is a commercially available cone 6 clear gloss glaze that I could use as a base to add colorants to (thinking metal oxides or liquid metal salts) ? Are most clear glazes expected to work properly when colorants are added?  

What about a white gloss glaze for additions?

I have very limited space to mix glazes, I'd like to start out with just clear and white and have small amounts of additives for color until I get more comfortable with my firings.

Thanks,

What is a commercially available cone 6 clear gloss glaze that I could use as a base to add colorants to (thinking metal oxides or liquid metal salts) ? Are most clear glazes expected to work properly when colorants are added?  

What about a white gloss glaze for additions?

I have very limited space to mix glazes, I'd like to start out with just clear and white and have small amounts of additives for color until I get more comfortable with my firings.

Thanks,

Where are you?

Talk to Laguna, tell them what you plan to do, what colorants your are thinking of using, and ask if there is anything in the base glaze that would react poorly, e.g., does the clear have zinc in it? You can also look at the Safety Data Sheets for the glazes and see what materials are used. Then, test, test, test (the old potter's advice/response for all questions).

Archived