Shredded Paper For Fuel

There's always a lot of shredded paper here by week's end here. I wondering if it can be used practically for a trash can firing? I'd use earthenware clay. My thought wood be load the kiln like a sawdust fire with the fuel but put 2-3 pipes into the fuel so oxygen can get into the base of the fire and can be pulled out to adjust burning if needed.

There's always a lot of shredded paper here by week's end here. I wondering if it can be used practically for a trash can firing? I'd use earthenware clay. My thought wood be load the kiln like a sawdust fire with the fuel but put 2-3 pipes into the fuel so oxygen can get into the base of the fire and can be pulled out to adjust burning if needed.

I haven't heard of firing to earthenware temperatures with newspapers, if your talking about raku or smoking you need to look into the ordinances in the area you live. I was smoking some vases and the neighbors called the fire department, I had followed the rules so I didn't get a fine. I lived at the edge of the city and had a acre back yard, with a higher population like NJ the stricter the ordinances are so check yours out. Denice

Raku firings tend to upset the neighbors--especially if they have clothes on the line. However, I've found by making up many small bowls or cups and inviting the neighbors over to glaze one for themselves, watching a raku firing intrigues them so much they never complain. Be sure to check your air quality alerts so you don't get into trouble with officialdom. I also limit myself to newspaper (no color printing) and pine needles. Neither seems to bother the neighborhood.

Archived