firing question

I made this cake stand for my sister in law, its about ready to be bisque fired which shouldnt be a problem, I will fire it upside down and shouldnt have problems with warping but after its glazed and sitting upright I am worried about warping, I made the top thick. Do you think I will have a problem with warping?

If there might be an issue with warping could I possibly throw a wide open cylinder that will set underneath it towards the outside? I am thinking that might do the trick but I would rather not do it unless others her think it might warp

post-6939-131828412854_thumb.jpg

post-6939-131828412854_thumb.jpg

I made this cake stand for my sister in law, its about ready to be bisque fired which shouldnt be a problem, I will fire it upside down and shouldnt have problems with warping but after its glazed and sitting upright I am worried about warping, I made the top thick. Do you think I will have a problem with warping?

If there might be an issue with warping could I possibly throw a wide open cylinder that will set underneath it towards the outside? I am thinking that might do the trick but I would rather not do it unless others her think it might warp

This would be a design feature you'd want to put in your pot. If I were making this I would make a wide top on my elevated foot ring to support the wide platform. You would still get some warping or sagging depending on the type of clay you are using and the temperature. I would use a structural clay full of grog, and make a couple and see how they sag. Maybe you'll get lucky and get no sagging, but if you do maybe all you'd have to do is make the top very slightly convex so that as it settles it won't sag into a shallow bowl.

post-6254-131829924587_thumb.png

post-6254-131829924587_thumb.png

Thank you for the reply. I am using a highfire clay that is full of grog and although its not a great picture the base does curve out considerably at the top and is supporting a lot. It is also slightly concave but not much. I guess I will fire it and just see what happens.

once it's fired, I wouldn't be worried about warping....I've been throwing for several years and never seen anything warped once the final stage has been achieved....but then I'm not an expert either.

Sally

Thank you for the reply. I am using a highfire clay that is full of grog and although its not a great picture the base does curve out considerably at the top and is supporting a lot. It is also slightly concave but not much. I guess I will fire it and just see what happens.

I am sorry I should have described it better. I am not worried about it warping after it is fired, I am worried about it warping in the final firing where it will have to sit upright in the kiln

I am sorry I should have described it better. I am not worried about it warping after it is fired, I am worried about it warping in the final firing where it will have to sit upright in the kiln

Tricky design feature here even with the platter top supported by a wide flair on the base. I have had to deal with a similar problem in the past where some of my pieces were heavy and needed a support for a wide unwarping base. I threw the basic cylinder for the bottom thicker than usual, leaving more clay at the top3-4 inches. Then I split that top into two walls. The outer wall I shaped with the curve the way I wanted the outside to look, and then the inner wall almost straight or curving slightly inward. This gave support for the top area in two rings what were about 3-4 inches apart. After joining, before firing I would dry it slowly for about two weeks. then fire slow in a bisque that took about two days. The piece was quite a bit heavier than you have here, and I didn't want to lose it. It came out fine, with no warpage or cracking.

Archived