Need A Hand With Dipping Glaze Recipe

Bioman

I have packages of Mason Stain and I am looking for a base glaze recipe to add them to.  I am new to this so this may or may not be possible; but can the base glaze be opaque or does it need to be clear to allow adding stains?

Does anyone have such a base recipe they could share?  I would prefer one with minimal texture as it is for foodware.

Thanks in advance for the assist :)

It can be either clear or opaque. A lot of the stains might make a clear glossy surface sort of opaque anyways depending on the % of stain used. I am not sure if this is the right terms or not, but sometimes the clear superglossy surface can change when you start getting near the 10% mark in stains, at least my results have found this to happen. I think the sweet spot for me using the 20x5 recipe has been around 5-6% of a stain.

A good one to start with is the 20x5 recipe. https://digitalfire.com/4sight/education/g1214m_cone_5-7_20x5_glossy_base_glaze_114.html

I have used this with good success with 3-4 different stains.

I usually made like 5 cups of mix, then added increments of 2% all the way up to 10% so you can see what happens with the surface and the color as it increases in 2%. 

You can take any of your favorite glossy recipes and just remove the color agents and then add stain and see what happens.

Say if your using a white glaze that you have great results with, remove the tin or zircopax and replace it with stain and you should get a relatively decent result. It will depend on the stain and if it has any ingredients that the stain doesn't like in the recipe though. 

It can be either clear or opaque. A lot of the stains might make a clear glossy surface sort of opaque anyways depending on the % of stain used. I am not sure if this is the right terms or not, but sometimes the clear superglossy surface can change when you start getting near the 10% mark in stains, at least my results have found this to happen. I think the sweet spot for me using the 20x5 recipe has been around 5-6% of a stain.

A good one to start with is the 20x5 recipe. https://digitalfire.com/4sight/education/g1214m_cone_5-7_20x5_glossy_base_glaze_114.html

I have used this with good success with 3-4 different stains.

I usually made like 5 cups of mix, then added increments of 2% all the way up to 10% so you can see what happens with the surface and the color as it increases in 2%. 

You can take any of your favorite glossy recipes and just remove the color agents and then add stain and see what happens.

Say if your using a white glaze that you have great results with, remove the tin or zircopax and replace it with stain and you should get a relatively decent result. It will depend on the stain and if it has any ingredients that the stain doesn't like in the recipe though. 

Thanks Joseph, great start.

One question.  I don't have Wollansonite.  Can i substitute Calcium Carbonate?  If so would I need to adjust the silica ratio?

Archived