Glazing without smudging

I know, I keep asking, asking, asking on here, but I wanted some thoughts from everyone about putting their clear coats, or perhaps any glaze for that matter, on without smudging.

If you are willing to share, What are some techniques, or tools you use to accomplish your smudge free pieces?

Or perhaps someone has a good article on this? I'd really love to know, because my brush isn't cutting it, and my fingers always seem to find their way onto freshly applied glaze, often to my dismay. :P

I know, I keep asking, asking, asking on here, but I wanted some thoughts from everyone about putting their clear coats, or perhaps any glaze for that matter, on without smudging.

If you are willing to share, What are some techniques, or tools you use to accomplish your smudge free pieces?

Or perhaps someone has a good article on this? I'd really love to know, because my brush isn't cutting it, and my fingers always seem to find their way onto freshly applied glaze, often to my dismay. tongue.gif

How are you glazing? Are you holding the ware in your hands? Try using a banding or decorating wheel and leave the ware upon the wheel until it's dry enough to be handled. If you are dipping the ware into glazes with your hands, try using glazing tongs. You can also get longer decorating brushes to help you keep your distance until the glaze has dried completely.

By the way, it is fine for you to ask.

Or perhaps someone has a good article on this? I'd really love to know, because my brush isn't cutting it, and my fingers always seem to find their way onto freshly applied glaze, often to my dismay. tongue.gif

How are you glazing? Are you holding the ware in your hands? Try using a banding or decorating wheel and leave the ware upon the wheel until it's dry enough to be handled. If you are dipping the ware into glazes with your hands, try using glazing tongs. You can also get longer decorating brushes to help you keep your distance until the glaze has dried completely.

By the way, it is fine for you to ask.

I'm actually glazing by holding the pieces in hand, and using a 2 1/2" brush. I also usually pour glaze into my bowls and turn them around slowly so the glaze will coat the inside up the the rim. Perhaps, I am a bit impatient, because I usually like to get the inside, and outside of my pieces coated in one sitting.

Glaze the interior of the vessel first then the exterior surfaces. Let it dry completely. When you handle the ware don't handle the surface gingerly but firmly. Be sure your hands are dry and clean.

If you want to glaze interior and exterior at one time you can dip the ware into glaze using glaze tongs. If you have never done this before practice with the tongs using a plastic container in water turning it around pouring the water out shaking the container while holding it with the tongs. Then use something heavier and more fragile like a vessel that has been fired just to get the feel for the tongs.

I've found that not rushing the job is the best thing I can do to have successful glazing. Let the piece dry between brushed on coats, dipping is the only way to complete glazing super fast. I sometimes use a clear glaze over Mayco's Stroke and Coats or Duncan's Concepts these are also know as "bisque strokes". If you are referring to smearing these unfired colors when applying the clear glaze over them, then the most important thing is to get a really good quality fan brush that is not stiff. Two swipes of the clear glaze over the "bisque strokes" and then move on. Do not repeatedly go over the same area. If that is still not successful for you, then try sponging on the first coat, let it dry thoroughly and then brush on the rest of the coats needed.

Is dipping or spraying not an option? I am also confused about the 'smudging'. Are you putting you fingers onto the still damp glaze coat to smooth some irregularities out? If so, wait till the glaze is completly dry, then lightly buff with dry fingers.

It's fine to ask, that's one of the purposes of this forum, I think.smile.gif

What is smudging? Do you have an unbisque slip decoration that is smudging when you brush on a glaze?

I am not understanding the question.

Marcia

Hey Marcia, It's just a fancy slang term for goofing up, and sticking my finger in the freshly brushed glaze... ACCIDENTALLY... not really intentional. :)

Is dipping or spraying not an option? I am also confused about the 'smudging'. Are you putting you fingers onto the still damp glaze coat to smooth some irregularities out? If so, wait till the glaze is completly dry, then lightly buff with dry fingers.

Sorry for the double post!!!

No, unfortunately, I don't have the option of dipping, or spraying. I'm using just a good ol' pint of Amaco Clear coat on top of already underglazed and bisque fired pieces.

Sorry to confuse everyone!! lol Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Maybe you need to invest in a banding wheel. Then you don't need to hold the pot while brushing on the glaze.

Sorry for the double post!!!

No, unfortunately, I don't have the option of dipping, or spraying. I'm using just a good ol' pint of Amaco Clear coat on top of already underglazed and bisque fired pieces.

Sorry to confuse everyone!! lol Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Archived