Ground semi-precious stones in glaze

Kristen

I recently heard about a technique that involves grinding up semi precious stones and adding them to glaze. Does any body know about this technique? Or know of people who do it?

In my opinion, a glaze without ground semi precious stones is precious enough for me, but I'd still like to know more about this or see some examples.

I wonder if they are ground to a powder and added to the glaze, or put on after somehow and just fused to the surface of the glaze in a third firing?

few years back I found the Ed Gray website (edgraystudio.com) and from what I remember he talked about picking up stones along his walk and pulverizing them to be used in the finish of his pieces. I cannot remember the specifics nor find it on his web site tonight.

I also have a book on the subj, which I have not read yet, it's has a couple more before it, you might want to check out and see if that helps. Its called "Glazes from Natural Sources" by Brian Sutherland. It was republished in 2005.

If you get the book let me know what you think, I probably not get to it til later this year. Or if anyone has read it let me know your thoughts.

Chad.

I don't know about semi precious stones in glazes nor what the final result would be. A few decades ago, a friend who had been to Japan mentioned using black pebbles from a stream...firing them in a kiln to fracture them and then pulverizing them more easily. He said the result was an impure source of manganese and cobalt...I guess that could depend on the stream.

He also said it was what they used for the subtle blues for slip decorating. Can you tell us what you expect as a final result using semi precious stones?

Marcia

Archived