Jump to content

TonyC

Members
  • Content Count

    39
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About TonyC

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Recent Profile Visitors

319 profile views
  1. I knew someone would notice. haha. Yes, I realized it after the kiln was running. Next time I'll get it right.
  2. Hello Everyone! I ran a Slow Bisque yesterday using large witness cones (05,06,07) set inside of an Orton holder (I didn't take any chances to screw up). 1. The temp setting for 06 = 1828F, and the final temp reading was 1828F (already better than before). 2. Next, the cones look good (at least 05 didn't bend). Both shelves had same results. So it looks like my TC correction and proper setup proved a success. I will be running a Cone 6 Slow Glaze later this weekend, and hope for similar results. MOST IMPORTANT: THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GRACIOUS AND TRULY HELPFUL FEEDBACK!
  3. Yes, thanks for catching the tape. It had already been compromised but I removed what was left.
  4. Bill, I think the TC was touching the end of the tube before, but I could not confirm it like I can now. The way I originally had the TC set up, the tube was not pressed against the outer kiln wall, therefore allowing it to be pulled forward 1/2". This allowed for possible error (unless I checked to make sure tube was pushed back against TC). This was a poor approach (1st time). You can actually see this possibility from my first pix yesterday showing either placement of the ceramic tube. With the new adjustment, the tube is directly against the outer kiln wall, and the TC is pushed forward until it touches the end. No room for movement. Much better. Live and learn. I did take out the top TC this morning and have attached pix. I think it is okay. There were a few particles in the tube, but I think that is common. Is the thermocouple sticking out enough from the protective ceramic pieces (see pic 2)? It looks like other photos or videos I've seen, but this is the time to comment I guess. Please feel free to share any thoughts you might have.
  5. Thanks. I just read something similar which described the criticality of vitrification, especially for articles being microwaved. Thanks for your feedback. What a great site this is
  6. I appear to have found an answer to my own question. Important if the articles will be used in the microwave. I just read that an absorption >2-3% can potentially cause problems in the microwave. I will have to test for this as I suspect the mugs are going to get nuked.
  7. I just read this and can clearly perform the test. I don't know what the results represent though. Is there an 'absorption level' that should be achieved as a minimum? What will the results 'tell' me?
  8. I had no special reason. I read some comments along the way which made it sound like it didn't really matter. I also think that my last Slow Bisque took so long that I was hoping something faster would make up for it. I'm being kind...I think I was simply impatient .
  9. Thanks for a different perspective. How am I testing for No. 1? There were some cups, a bowl and a vase. Not sure what my absorption requirement is other than the obvious. Please share further what you mean. Thank you.
  10. I didn't remove the thermocouples, but just ensured that they are pushed to the end of the tube. See my last posting as I did adjust the way the thermocouples are set in place (thanks to Neil Estrick).
  11. Done. So it is okay to have the TC lead exposed between the 2 ceramics? I previously was more concerned about having ceramic tube (right) butt up against the ceramic piece (left unit). Check out pic.
  12. Just checked the system and made sure that the thermocouple is touching the end of the ceramic tube. I did notice that the tube could move (pulled forward) based on some spacers that are used in the system. I am not sure if they need to be there in order to offset assembly away form outer kiln wall (for temp control??). If not, I would remove 2 of the spacers. I will take a pic and welcome your opinion as I didn't put the initial kiln together. Pic 1 shows tube pulled forward against kiln outer wall...Pic 2 shows tube pushed back so that TC touches tube wall. Not sure why the spacers are there other than to keep the unit further from the kiln wall.
  13. This is excellent information. Thank you for noticing the cone bloating. I plan to fire again using the Slow Glaze setting on my kiln where it finishes at 108F/hr. I will keep everyone here posted on my new findings in a few days.
  14. Well...it looks like I need to refire and check the thermocouples under slower final segment heating conditions. For the record, all of my pots came out okay. None of the glazes ran which actually surprised me after I saw the cones and saw the final temp. Let's see what the next step tells us. Thank you again for all of the feedback.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.