Clear As Mud!

RjM

I've been a student of pottery off and on since 2003 at our local community college. Recently, I purchased a used kiln, and I'm firin' ready to begin my work at home; HOWEVER, I'm getting conflicting information of what cone and glazing I should use for ware to be food, dishwasher and microwave safe. In the past the instructors have taken care of the firing details and unfortunately, I'm still in the dark when it comes to firing. Will someone help shed the light and clear up this muddy issue for me?

Invest in a copy of John Hesselberth and Ron Roy's Mastering Cone 6 Glazes. You'll find lots of good information on durable and stable glazes, as well as practical tests for ensuring glazes are food, microwave and dishwasher safe/friendly. You can find and make safe and durable glazes to fire at a variety of cones. Another good reference is John Britt's The Complete Guide to High-Fire Glazes; while focused at cone 10, the general discussion is very helpful and applicable to the whole of glazing. Good glazing results are a combination of both glazes and firing cycles.

Archived