Painting Store Bought Plates To Be Functional

Jadestarrox

Hi. I am overwhelmed with research and could use some help.

I want to paint store bought stoneware and porcelain dinnerware and have them be functional and durable. (Food safe and dishwasher/microwave safe) what is the easiest way to do so?

I've looked into enamel gloss and pebeo paints that can be heat set in my home oven, but I have learned that they are not good for the parts of the plates that food will touch.

I have read that Duncan concepts under glazes would do well for store bought plates and are functional for eating, but I am at a loss at how to fire to cone 04/06... I have access to a kiln, but am worried about the plates standing up to that much heat and also bringing the cost of this project up.

I do have access to an oven at my work where we temper aluminum ( I am a structures mechanic specializing in sheet metal). Can I use that? If so, what temp should I set it too? I understand that the plates need to be in the oven during the ramp time to prevent breaking.

Is this project going to be worth it? Or should I just return my plates and settle for the already decorated ones?

So sorry for all the questions. Thank you for your time

Welcome to the forums :)

If you want something to be foodsafe and durable, you need temperatures that are hotter than your oven at home will provide. Given that aluminum melts (never mind tempers) well before anything ceramic even thinks about getting moving, your tempering oven at work is probably out too. Stick to the pottery kiln.

Porcelain and stoneware mature at much higher temperatures than cone 04-06 ranges. They should have no problem with the heat.

Will someone else be firing this kiln for you, or are you doing it yourself?

Thank you so much for your feedback. It's so nice to get a straight forward answer after all the googling I've been doing.

If using a kiln is what needs to be done, I will take the finished dinnerware to my local crafts shop and have the ladies there do it for me.

Am I correct that the Duncan underglazes is what I need to use as my medium?

If you simply want a set of dinnerware you have decorated yourself, the easiest solution is at a paint it yourself pottery place. Some are better than others in that they stock interesting greenware rather than the ordinary plain shapes. Some stores have catalogues from other countries as well as American wares, so you can order pieces.

This way you can have the fun of painting on underglaze designs and let someone else fire them to a food safe level.

I don't make dishes, so I used to do this every Christmas so I would have signature Holiday designs to sell and it worked out very well.

Enjoy!

Are you buying finished restaraunt blanks, or greenware?

Have you purchased underglazes already?

As the name suggests, underglazes need to be coated with a glaze afterwards to be fully food safe, and they are usually used on greenware, not finished pieces.

If you have restaraunt blanks, Mayco stroke and coat may be a better option. Same idea as the Duncan, but they are shiny without having to add another glaze.

If you haven't commited to any materials yet, Chris has an excellent suggestion.

Archived