Raku Copper Matte Glaze

wenders

Hi. I hope someone can help, as I have already tried archive and Google searches.  One of my treasured copies of CM magazine was from Spring 1995 (I think?!) that featured the ceramist, Emma Luna.  There were a few glaze recipes in the article, and now I have misplace the magazine.  I know that there are many copper mattes out there, but I want this one; there was also a nice crackle "Radcliffe Apple Green".  I would appreciate if anyone can provide a link or other resourse to find these recipes. 

Thanks.

I just made a copper mate glaze. It's not the recipe you are looking for but I'm quite pleased.

It's Hawaiian copper blue. I got some great flashing, in newspaper reduction. Check out my gallery for some test pieces.

If you can't find original maybe this will be close.

Here's a link to a Clayart thread; the Radcliffe Apple Green is about halfway down.

http://www.potters.org/subject45304.htm

From the thread: "My absolute favorite, shiny raku glaze is Radcliffe Apple Green (recipe follows). In oxidation this glaze produces a beautiful blue/green color. In moderate reduction it produces blue/green with copper patches and an overall copper sheen. In heavy reduction it produces fantastic copper (not rainbow, just copper), blue/green patches, and sometimes red/maroon patches. Thin applications of the glaze over a white clay body yields a whitish, speckled blue color. I always get something I like with this glaze.

Radcliffe Apple Green Recipe

Frit 3134 - 90

EPK - 10

Add:

Copper Carbonate - 4

Tin Oxide - 5

Bentonite - 2

Epsom Salts - 1

Glaze is very powdery, so I recommend applying it by pouring or dipping, not painting. My last batch came out somewhat opaque. Add less Epsom salts maybe?"

Archived