Kiln Identification

Howdy,

I'm not sure if this inquiry is in the right location in the forum, but I've recently happened upon 2 kilns. I'm guessing they are older since Google has failed me, though Google's search engine has gone downhill in recent years. From what I gather, we have a Blue Diamond Kiln Company model #2541 and an American Beauty model #A327. The American Beauty model number was etched into the side and the photo quality is admittedly a little poor. We are gearing up to move these pieces of equipment across state lines this weekend and would like any information available as to their disassembly or any wisdom pertaining to shipping kilns in general.  I've attached the imgur links for higher resolution images here.

Blue Diamond link
https://i.imgur.com/v32df42.jpeg

American Beauty link

https://i.imgur.com/w3gLuuY.jpeg

Please advise and thanks for your time,
                Gapen

v32df42.jpeg

w3gLuuY.jpeg

Neither company is around any more, but most parts can still be found like switches and such. They're not usually specific to any one brand, or even to kilns. Elements can be made by Euclids.com. To move them, unstack the sections and put styrofoam sheets between them. Pink house foam will also work. Secure them so they can't slide around, wrap with plastic wrap if needed. If the floor slab is separate from the walls, put it on top. Do not try to move them all as one, only move in sections. Be gentle, the bricks are quite fragile. Never use a hand truck, only flat carts with foam padding underneath.

Code says the kiln must be on a breaker that is 25% greater than the draw, so the Blue Diamond needs to be on an 80 amp breaker and must be hard wired. The American Beauty should be on a 60 amp breaker.

Both are rated for cone 8, so  they can handle cone 5/6 but element life will be less than with a cone 10 kiln.

@Gapen, post also photos that will show each kiln entirely. It may help ...

I have said so because I have  suspected your American Beauty kiln might have no sections (as my Evenheat kiln). If so, I would like to suggest, before moving , that you "sandwich" the kiln between  a small palet (below its bottom) and  a  square or round plywood on top of its cover and securely fasten the latter  with ratchet straps. But before that, for additional protection of the kiln bricks from moving, place something like a yoga mat inside against the bricks and fill tightly the space in the middle with soft packing material (i.e. bubble wrap, air bags, or light blanket or towels) . Place also a couple of layers of foam packing sheets between the kiln and its cover ... you will also need to put some soft material (styrofoam or foam floor mat) underneath the kiln bottom and on top of the kiln cover, and only then place the hard material (palet and plywood) underneath and on top (As suggested by @neilestrick for kiln sections above!).  I learned the sandwich method from an experienced potter and was able to move three old kilns without damaging them.  Please bear with me, but I cannot emphasize enough the need of watching closely those who will handle the kilns during your moving. The precautions may seem extreme, but kilns are extremely delicate and their bricks get damaged (cracked) very very easily.  It's therefore so  important not to tilt a kiln or its sections while lifting or re-placing them and to provide cushioning where necessary. The sandwich packing is meant  to reduce the chances of bricks and the steel outer shell from shifting/sliding, etc. I wish you a trouble-less moving journey.

Edited by iffetorbay
Additional information